6.5 Pro Freezes While "Scanning for Devices"

erniemercer

I just installed the trial version of retrospect 6.5 professional. When I try to do a backup or configure devices, the program freezes while "scanning for devices." Windows (2000 Pro) is unable to close the program, and sometimes requires a hard reset to restart. I uninstalled my previous backup software (Novaback 6.7 SCSI) before installing Retrospect. My backup device is a Sony SDT-11000.

Hi

What other devices are attached to your machine? If you have a USB card reader be sure to unplug it. I doubt the SCSI drive is doing this unless there is a termination or cabling problem.

Make sure you disable the windows driver for your tape drive in the Windows device manager.

Nate

Nate,

The problem is being caused when Retrospect scans an internal (IDE) PCMCIA adapter. Retrospect will run if I disconnect the IDE cable. Disabling the device in Windows doesn't work. Apparently Retrospect still sees it.

Is there any way to exclude a device from the Device Scan? If not, then it looks like Retrospect won't run on my machine.

Hi

You can tell Retrospect to ignore a device like this:

Hold down the shift and space keys when you click on the device->Environment window in Retrospect. This should bybass the device scan. Then right click on each un-needed device id and select "ignore ID".

You could also do this while the device is disconnected to avoid the keyboard shortcuts.

If that fails we can try installing ASPI but that is a bit of a longshot.

Let us know how it goes

Thanks

Nate

Hold down the shift and space keys when you click on the device->Environment window in Retrospect. This should bybass the device scan. Then right click on each un-needed device id and select "ignore ID".

Retrospect froze when I right-clicked on the problem device ID (1:0). I disconnected the IDE cable and was then able to select "ignore ID" for that ID. After reconnecting the cable, Retrospect ran without freezing.

Thanks for your help!

Archived