CATALOG OUT OF SYNC Errors

Greetings.

I am running a Mac OS X Server [latest OS X software], with Retrospect 5.0, using a Fantom/Micronet 7-tape DLT backup library.

I have yet to successfully backup my users - as Retrospect is reporting a "Catalog out of sync" error - and tells me to rebuild the catalog.

How can it find something wrong with a catalog when I have never even did a complete and successful backup? Also, when I try to rebuild the catalog as it says - Retrospect just sits there and does nothing, until I cancel the rebuild.

Any ideas? I am using a brand new drive, brand new DLT tapes, and Retrospect 5.0 Server Backup...

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. Brand new G4 Quicksilver running OS X Server, archiving to DVD-R through a stock Apple Superdrive mechanism, workgroup version of Retrospect 5.0. Got through about 3.5gb of a 4.1gb session then it died with a 203 hardware error. Recataloging immediately creates 206 errors.

What is the deal?!!?

I am using a Fantom/Micronet DLT7280 DLT Autoloader Tape Backup drive.

[http://www.micronet.com/products/dlt_autoloader.html]

As far as the DEVICE STATUS goes, here is what it says:

SCSI-A:1 ADIC FastStor DLT Version 0119 Adic Library [1.35]

SCSI-A:3 Quantum DLT4000 Version D98C DLT 20.0 DC [1.35]

This is connected to an ATTO Tech SCSI Card.

ATTO Express PCI Pro [single Channel Ultra-Wide SCSI] Card ROM 1.6.2f2

I have a similar device (ADIC branded FastStor-FS-DLT4000 if I recall), and I think I get the same device names and versions as you do. I also have a single channel ATTO card. I have two problems when I use Retro 5 - the autoloader will continually search through tapes when in backup server mode without being able to identify them. I did get it to work by sticking an Empty tape in the device and doing an immediate backup, however I got a slew of "Bad Backup Set Header" messages after having done it. At present, I'm just assuming the device is not entirely compatible with Retrospect 5.0 (good thing I have another tape drive).

Well, I broke down and called DANTZ for support on this, I had not heard a thing back on this forum...

We were able to successfully backup to a FILE BACKUP on the local hard drive just fine - both a "new backup" - and then having Retrospect do another backup to see if it could sync up with the catalog file, and then backup only the changed data on the second backup attempt.

This was fine with the FILE BACKUP.

As soon as I tried to do this with the tape library - I was able to complete the first backup of one single client - but the subsequent backups resulted in the CATALOG OUT OF SYNC error again.

Sooo, this tells me that its NOT a Retrospect problem per se - but perhaps maybe communication problems with the hardware, which I am now going to undertake... [sigh..]

Just wanted to give you all an update on this situation, and whats been going on.

I too am getting out of sync errors on subsequent backups to a catalog set.

Hardware config as follows:

Dual 1ghz G4 OS X server (version 10.1.4 both OS and Server Software)

Initio Miles U2W SCSI card (latest OS X firmware and drivers)

HP surestore vs80e (Benchmark DLT1 ver. 3E20)

Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.203

Re: I'm in the same boat. Brand new G4 Quicksilver running OS X Server, archiving to DVD-R through a stock Apple Superdrive mechanism, workgroup version of Retrospect 5.0. Got through about 3.5gb of a 4.1gb session then it died with a 203 hardware error. Recataloging immediately creates 206 errors.

Have you tried a new backup? It's possible that the hardware failure that you got during the backup damaged the set.

Irena,

I wish it was just that simple, that I was using the wrong card. But, ney, I checked your compatibillity list prior ordering this card. As a matter of fact I checked the list prior to ordering the 29160 card that I had previously attempted to use, but then it mysteriously made its way to the incompatible list.

End result - qualified card, qualified drive mechanism, OS X 10.1.4, Server 10.1.4 = Catalog our of sync.

I was able to perform an incremental backup (normal backup) to a file catalog without isssue.

Thanks,

Randy

Does this reproduce if you create a brand new backup set?

If we're going to try and find a pattern, I"ll need the following information and a description of 1) the actual problems and 2) how reproducible it is.

It will strengthen the case if you can confirm that you've gone through some basic device troubleshooting as well (new cable, new terminator, trying it on a different machine, cleaning the drive, etc.).

Retrospect Version and build #

RDU # (if present)

Computer Model and speed

OS X build version #

Device

Device firmware

Device interface

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Media brand and size

Other Devices Connected

Thanks,

Irena

Irena,

If I were a dog and had a tail it would be between my legs!! The SCSI card in installed last week was on the incompt. list. I, today, installed the 9100UW and all seems to be well. I have tried several small incremental backups and no Out of Sync errors.

The correct tape name shows up in the Device window and everything.

I'm not 100% convinced yet, I'll be checking the status daily and will post any out of the ordinary results here.

Thanks for you help and patience.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you know that my CATALOG OUT OF SYNC errors have finally vanished. Turns out that the ATTO drivers are indeed built into OS X. However, there are newer drivers for this card at the ATTO website [http://www.attotech.com].

I downloaded those, installed the firmware onto the SCSI card in OS9, rebooted into OS X, and all is working like a charm..

Just wanted to let you all know.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same problems you do NerdTech, tried everything you did and I still get catalog out of sync errors even on a new backup set I have just created and that has never been used.

Here is my setup. All clients are under OS9, except for my laptop which is on OSX.

BTW, the tape has been running for more than 2 years with previous versions of retrospect on another machine.

Retrospect Version and build # Server Version 5, build 5.0.205

RDU # (if present) nope

Computer Model and speed G4-450, 384 megs RAM

OS X build version # OSX Server, build SS40

Device Tanberg Data DLT4000 DS7A

Device firmware

Device interface

Adapter Card ATTO ExpressPCI UL3S

Adapter Card firmware 1.66 (the latest, just flashed it yesterday)

Adapter Card driver for OS X none

Media brand and size Quantum DLT tapes 20/40G

Other Devices Connected none

Anyone has suggestions, I have been trying for days to get this thing working.

Thanks

Pierre-Louis

sysadmin laserreg.com

First, try a file backup set saved to the local drive, to determine if the problem is hardware-related.

Do all backups to the drive result in this error? Are there errors in the log?

If you boot into OS 9, as a test, does the out of sync message persist?

If so, make sure the device is isolated, and try running a cleaning tape through a few times.

Next, have you tried another cable from the computer to the (isolated) drive? Another terminator? If you haven't tried both of these, do so.

If you've done all of these steps with no results, try the drive connected to another computer.

Hi Irena, thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I had already tried pretty much everything you recomanded to no avail...except for what I consider last resort...install it on a different machine...which seems to have make it work...Why would'nt it work on one but would on the other???...new machine is a G3 350 B&W with 320 megs RAM (rest of the config is the same)??????

I do not have the catalog out of synch errors anymore, although it seems to be working extremly slowly (I read another thread on that)...I started the first real backup last night at 5:30 pm, we are now almost noon and it is about to finish... 16Gigs in more than 18 hours...Retrospect is reporting 13 MB/min...same backup on retrospect 4.3, installed on a 7500/100, OS 8.6, 96 megs RAM, and 100Base-T NIC was ging at least 3 times the speed...Thinking I have 7 servers like this one to back-up, and one back-up set per day to take out of the office...I am no PhD, but it does not seem to have enough hours in a day to back everything up...

Can you enlighten me on this???

Again thanks for your help.

Pierre-Louis Prouls

Sysadmin Laser-registration.com

The most obvious explanation is that there's a problem with the SCSI card on the first machine. There are other possible factors though. For example, the G4 may be trying to move the data through faster. The slower speed of the G3 may allow the operation to complete.

The slow speed may also be related to the error that you saw on the last computer. It's possible that there's a minor problem with the drive (or the cable, or the terminator) that is causing both the slowdowns on this computer and the error on the other.

Archived