519 error on a windows client

Hi all,

I am running 5.1.175 (just upgraded last week from 5.0.X) on 10.2.6 on a G4 1GHZ / 768RAM backing up to AIT-2 tapes over firewire. About 25 Clients running OS X, OS9 and all kinds of Windows.

Everything has been just peachy for several months until 2 weeks ago, 1 Win2K Pro client has responded with a 519 error. I have "repaired" the client installation and removed/reinstalled and reentered the client on the server. I thought I had fixed it when I saw I could log on to the client from the server, but the log shows the same 519. The server connects, does the 20 sec wait, pops up the status window, says preparing for backup, then fails.

I am not a windows person, so I don't know where to start digging on the client side. As far as I can tell nothing has changed with regard to firewalls, security software or the network.

Has anybody seen this behaviour?

/eric

Also, this morning I found that Retrospect had quit quoting a 519. The log showed the same client acting up. This also caused the catalog to get out of sync so I am updating it now.

If anyone has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Eric

Thanks Amy,

I narrowed it down to a disk problem with the client (imminent disk failure, in fact). At least this is *a* problem, there may be more.

I still have 2 questions:

1: The catalog and/or BU-set got messed up after this. First I get an out-of-sync error and did an update existing catalog. Retrospect froze (pinwheel) after the update (the progress window said complete) so I force quit, tried again, same thing. I then did a catalog rebuild from tape which ended with a bad Backup set header error on the last tape. Is there anyway to fix this set or do I have to abandon it? Any attempts to BU to this set give an out of sync error.

2: I was able to back up the client doing an immediate BU on to a separate tape with no problems. How could the screwy client have messed up the normal BU set but then worked OK with another tape, different script?

Thanks

Eric

Hi

I think you need to give up on your first set. You are probably not going to be able to add any more data without setting the tape missing.

I suspect the failure of the first client backup failed in such a way that invalid data was sent to the tape - resulting in corruption that makes it unsuable.

The new set just worked as it was supposed to.

Nate

Archived