HELP. I just want to back up my hard drive before replacing it.

Hmm. How hard could this be? I sure am perplexed. I have used the Duplicate feature to completely copy the contents of my laptop (ibook) to an external (firewire) drive. Now i have an exact copy of the ibook on the external drive but no idea how to copy it all back onto the new ibook hard drive!

I then connnected a 2nd external drive and tried to simply make a Backup of the copy of the ibook hard drive. Retrospect starts to do its thing but alway fails with an error saying "Can't add that much data to a backup set". This is weird. I am trying to backup one external drive onto another external drive -- with tons of free space. The error message says the limit is 2GB -- how can that be true??

I am completely mystified. Anyone that can clue me in will get a million Karma points.

Quote:

I then connnected a 2nd external drive and tried to simply make a Backup of the copy of the ibook hard drive. Retrospect starts to do its thing but alway fails with an error saying "Can't add that much data to a backup set". This is weird. I am trying to backup one external drive onto another external drive -- with tons of free space. The error message says the limit is 2GB -- how can that be true??

Your second FW drive is formatted as HFS, which has a 2g limit, instead of HFS+, which does not.

Dave

Archived