Backup vs Client Beginner Questions

Trying to figure out options on a LAN with both OS X and OS 8.6 Macs.

In the past, I've used Retrospect 4.3 (think it is called Backup or Desktop in this version) installed on two Macs running OS 8.6 to backup to an external HD connected to one of them. Use a router to connect the two and to DSL.

Now adding an OS X Mac and I'm a beginner at OS X and in using Retrospect Clients and I'm confused. I've purchased/upgraded to Retrospect 5.0 and have installed it on the OS X Mac and a Client on one of the OS 8.6 Macs.

So some questions:

1. Can I continue to use Retrospect 4.3 on the 8.6 Macs but backup to an external HD connected to the OS X Mac? I'm not sure I know how or if I can mount an OS X volume on a OS 8.6 Mac?

2. If I go the other route and use clients on the OS 8.6 Macs to backup to the external HD on the OS X Mac, then when I want to do a partial or full Restore to a OS 8.6 Mac do I do that all from the backup OS X Mac?

3. I could only find how to do a full restore of a Client in the User Guide. I assume I can Restore just selected files/folders as I've done before?

Thanks for any advice

1. Can I continue to use Retrospect 4.3 on the 8.6 Macs but backup to an external HD connected to the OS X Mac? I'm not sure I know how or if I can mount an OS X volume on a OS 8.6 Mac?

You can backup any mounted AFP volume with Retrospect 4.3 on your older Mac. But if you backup an entire OS X boot volume this way it can't be used to Restore a working OS X system again. But if it's data files you want to get, have at it.

Use the Chooser to connect to an OS X Macintosh that has Personal File Sharing enabled in the Sharing preference pane.

2. If I go the other route and use clients on the OS 8.6 Macs to backup to the external HD on the OS X Mac, then when I want to do a partial or full Restore to a OS 8.6 Mac do I do that all from the backup OS X Mac?

Yes.

3. I could only find how to do a full restore of a Client in the User Guide. I assume I can Restore just selected files/folders as I've done before?

Yes

You can backup any mounted AFP volume with Retrospect 4.3 on your older Mac. But if you backup an entire OS X boot volume this way it can't be used to Restore a working OS X system again. But if it's data files you want to get, have at it.

Understood the rest of your reply, thanks very much.

But didn't follow the above.

Don't think the boot volume pertains so though I don't understand that part I'm not going to worry about that part. wink.gif

However the rest is the important part for me:

Currently on my OS 8.6 Mac, I'm able to mount the external HD of the other OS 8.6 Mac. I created a user name and password and use in the automated script.

But now, if I try to backup the OS 8.6 Mac to an external HD connected to the OS X Mac I don't see how manually or via script to do that. I only understand that I can share the Public folder if I sign on as Guest or the whole OS X Mac if I sign as the Mac OS X owner but I don't think I want to do that.

I'd like to be able to do as I'm doing under OS 8.6, create a user name on the OS X Mac and then just mount the external HD connected to that Mac and backup to it. Possible?

Hope I'm explaining the situation clearly.

Thanks again.

Archived