Perhaps I don't fully understand.....With desktop version 5 I am given 2 client user codes to back up 2 computers on my network. I have installed the clients on an XP machine and an OS 9 machine on my small home network, which uses a network switch/hub. But I cannot see the clients from Retrospect 5 (using X 10.2.8 and retrospect 5.0.238. The documentation seems to suggest that networks using hubs need workgroup or server versions. So how can there be a network with more than 2 computers without a hub????? Why am I given 2 free codes if I can't use them? I can ping both machines no problem, and the clients are configured correctly according to the documentation, so am I doing something wrong or do I have to "send more money?"

Thanks. I am not a network person, but my small network works great with this exception. I guess they are all on the same subnet, if the subnet is 255.255.255.0.

Quote:

I guess they are all on the same subnet, if the subnet is 255.255.255.0.

No, two machines on entirely different subnets could both have the same network _mask_ of 255.255.255.0.

If each machine has that mask (as you've noted) then they're on the same subnet only if the first three octets (groups of numbers in the address) are the same. For example:

are on the same subnet. But:

are not.

Dave

I don't know if this will help or not, but I'll give it a try.

If your main machine (where Retro is) is a Mac, running OSX. Then make sure its Network prefs are set to Ethernet/Modem only. Not Airport. Uncheck airport so it does not appear in the options. Do not set to Automatic.

I'm not 100% sure of this. It is based on the fact that I have an Aiport Network. And must switch off Ethernet, otherwise the mac cannot see the clients, with both running at the same time on the main machine. Clients can be set to automatic, they don't seem to mind. I'm not sure why Dantz don't fix this, as its very annoying. Perhaps 5.1 has? I doubt it. (I'm still on 5.0).

Give it a try, it may help. If not you won't have lost anything.

Regards Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Not at all. Airport works fine with Retro. However - Airport only works fine with Retro if the main machine where Retro is running from (not clients) is NOT set to Automatic in the Network prefs panel of OSX.

If it is, then Retro doesn't appear to know whether to look for clients using Ethernet or Airport, so it gets confused and won't find any clients. (this has been my experience on a number of occasions). So in Network prefs, you cannot have the Auto setting enabled, you must create a set where EITHER Airport or Ethernet is running, NOT both.

Like I said, this is my personal experience, which is why I suggested to the person I was replying to, to try it. For all I know it may not be the solution. But, I've yet to see anyone say that you CAN have both running at the same time. If it IS possible, I'd love to know how, please could someone tell me.

Regards Paul

PS - Not shouting with the capitals, just trying to emphasise certain points.

Paul Tansley said:

Not at all. Airport works fine with Retro. However - Airport only works fine with Retro if the main machine where Retro is running from (not clients) is NOT set to Automatic in the Network prefs panel of OSX.

YES!! I've been beating my head against the wall, trying to figure out why I couldn't get my client to show up, this fixed it. Thanks a million, Paul.

MM

Archived