Windows 'Blue Screen' at the end of Backup

mamit

I have not been able to complete even 1 backup of my (C:) drive. After several hours of seemingly good behavior, the backup process aborts with an error claiming it was halted due to a power failure or system crash (can't remember exact wording). I've tried this 4 times with same result. It seems this happens at the end, but I have no way of telling. The log file has no entry for the aborted backups, pretending as if nothing ever happened. And the Activity Monitor / History list does insert an entry for each failed attempt, but shows "errors: 0; performance: 0.0; and elapsed time: 00:00:00", which is a blatant lie, as I spent hours watching the blue ribbon crawl to the right.

I was successful when backing up individual folders, but not when trying a complete (C:) drive backup.

I'm using the Maxtor 5000DV via FireWire or USB (same result both ways, and no, they are never connected simultaneously). The drive came with Retrospect Express, and I've since upgraded to Professional 6.5.

Please help me out of my misery...

Thanks

Quote:

mamit said:

I have not been able to complete even 1 backup of my (C:) drive. After several hours of seemingly good behavior, the backup process aborts with an error claiming it was halted due to a power failure or system crash (can't remember exact wording). I've tried this 4 times with same result. It seems this happens at the end, but I have no way of telling. The log file has no entry for the aborted backups, pretending as if nothing ever happened. And the Activity Monitor / History list does insert an entry for each failed attempt, but shows "errors: 0; performance: 0.0; and elapsed time: 00:00:00", which is a blatant lie, as I spent hours watching the blue ribbon crawl to the right.

I was successful when backing up individual folders, but not when trying a complete (C:) drive backup.

I'm using the Maxtor 5000DV via FireWire or USB (same result both ways, and no, they are never connected simultaneously). The drive came with Retrospect Express, and I've since upgraded to Professional 6.5.

Please help me out of my misery...

Thanks

I'm using the Maxtor500LE, and I've seen BSOD twice.

My gut feling, and I do have a big gut, is that both occurred when I ran Retrospect shortly after using InCD to write stuff to the CD-RW drive.

Such an operation causes InCD to grab onto the CD-RW.

Perhaps, Retrospect also tries to grab the CD-RW drive, before InCD lets go, even tho the backup is to a USB drive, not to the CD-RW?

Would not surprise me if a similar problem occurred using other CD recording software.

If that is the cause of the problem, there are two fixes:

1. I just reboot before using Retrospect, a pain in the back rank, to use polite chess terminology.

2. Retrospect should not try to access the drive until a script/action is taken that requires such access.

Hi

I doubt this is related to the CD burning software but we can tell Retrospect to ignore the CD drive completely just in case.

In the configure->devices->environment window, Right click on every device ID and tell Retrospect to ignore the ID. Retrospect does not load drivers for hard drives so you will still be able to use your Maxtor drive.

What OS are you using? Do you have any programs running in the background? If this is windows XP is system restore still running on the maxtor drive? You mentioned the error happens at the end of the backup- can you tell if Retrospect is trying to copy the registry at that point?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

I doubt this is related to the CD burning software but we can tell Retrospect to ignore the CD drive completely just in case.

In the configure->devices->environment window, Right click on every device ID and tell Retrospect to ignore the ID. Retrospect does not load drivers for hard drives so you will still be able to use your Maxtor drive.

What OS are you using? Do you have any programs running in the background? If this is windows XP is system restore still running on the maxtor drive? You mentioned the error happens at the end of the backup- can you tell if Retrospect is trying to copy the registry at that point?

Thanks

Nate

Heck, even Nero, InCD's sibling, issues an error message if it caanot gain control of the CD-RW drive due to InCD. This is a specific message referring to InCD.

If Retrospect is loading a CD-RW driver, then could be the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived