upgrade to 6.5 for network backup?

kthan

I am wondering if the upgrade 6.5 will make a faster backup to the client drive through network.

I have a laptop (6.0 pro installed) and backed up the entire drive into the 2nd hard drive of

desktop. I am doing it through ethernet router. One major complain about this is speed.

It takes about 10 more times longer than local backup (ex: hard drive to 2nd or optical drive). I found 6.5 will boost the network backup performance. But, I don't know if the

speed boost is noticeable.

I also got some other questions regarding network backup.

First, as far as I know, in case of network backup, disaster recovery CD is not useful. So,

I have to install the windows after formatting the hard drive. Would it be okay (no version

conflict) as long as the Windows version is the same XP pro with SP1? Obviously, I made

several different updates after I installed it. Does those updates (with same vesion XP Pro

w/SP1) matter for version conflict? If yes, what is the best way to avoid it? For example,

try to update as much as current before restore, then execute restoration?

Second, I am wondering if I can also install Retrospect in my desktop and make another backup set into 2nd hard drive. Because there is already a backup set for my laptop drive, I am wondering if there is any problem between the two.

Third, what would be the best way to backup the entire hard drive? I was told that file backup is better than drive backup in my case (network backup). Any comments on this?

I really appreciate your great advice and input in advance.

Hi

You may notice a slight speed increase with 6.5. In either case make sure you have the latest windows client installed. It is faster than earlier versions of the client.

The problem with your strategy is that DR for Retrospect professional does not enable network functionality on the machine. If you backed up over the network you will most likely want to restore across the network. That won't go in Retrospect Professional.

Creating 2 backup sets on the same drive is not a problem. I don't think it is technically "legal" to install Retrospect on multiple machines but it will work.

Disk backup sets are better if you ask me. File backup sets are huge and are difficult to restore from if a section of the disk goes bad. Disk backup sets keep your data in smaller chunks so they are much more flexible

Nate

Thank you for your advice. I got some further questions.

Regading DR, as I mentioned in my original post, DR is not available for network backup with Professional. That's why I asked the way not to have version conflict of Windows between the one backed up and the one I installed after formatting the hard drive. Since the network backup is not available using DR, if a disaster happens, I have to format new hard drive and install the windows first (before restore). Even if I will use the same Windows CD (XP Pro w/SP1) as the one backed up, the windows I have stored in my backup

drive have been updated periodically. My understanding is that, once I installed new windows, I don't have to restore the windows backed up (is it possible to execute full backup

except windows?). Then, I am wondering all the other files (related to files in windows) won't

have any problem with the windows I newly installed. I definitely know that there will be a conflict if the versions (ex: XP and ME, or XP and XP SP1)are different between the two. But,

what about between the same XP SP1s? Do I have to excute all necessary updates first, then

restore the drive (except Windows) in order to minimize (or avoid) possible conflicts?

Also, Are there any Cons against disk backup, compared to file backup? In case of whole drive backup or restore , would the spped of disk backup faster than that of file backup?

Another question: Would it be okay to install 6.5 trial version on my computer where 6.0 Pro have already been installed? Can I come back to 6.0 if I don't want to upgrade? Or, do I have to delete 6.0 first? How about existing backup sets, drive recognition, ...?

Hi

If your network client machine goes down you will need to do the following:

1)Install windows again (same version as you had before)

2)Install Retrospect client again

3)Run a replace entire disk restore on the client volume

Retrospect will automatically restore the machine to exactly the way it was when you backed up. That includes any and all changes to Windows.

In other words, The windows install is needed so you can get the client running. Chances are all of the newly installed files will be overwritten in the restore.

You can choose to just restore your data and keep the clean windows install if you like. However you will need to reinstall all of your applications if you do so.

I doubt you will see a speed difference between file and disk backup sets. Personally I think disk is the way to go.

Once you use a backup set with a newer version of Retrospect there is no guarantee it will work again with the old version. Uninstalling Retrospect 6.0 leaves your config files in tact so you can safely do so if you like. If you decide to go back to 6.0 all you need to do is install it again.

Nate

One further question:

It seems to be that there is a dilemma between "the full restore (including backed up windows) and data-only restore (no windows<system file> retore)."

Once a disaster happens, restoring full drive seems to be risky because, most likely, there should be something wrong in the system files (such as windows registry), which might cause the disaster. I don't want to restore the windows which might have potential problems

and conflict. Even if I can go way far back to the past (a point of backup in the past), I am still not sure whether the point of restore I chose is a safe point or not (because windows might be gradually corrupted over time).

Then, I have to restore data only, as you suggested, with newly installed windows. But, in this case, I have to install all the programs from scratch. Then, what's the catch for full drive

backup? Only for drive migration, not for disaster recovery? If then, data only backup might

be easier, a lot faster strategy.

Is there any way I can go in between, or the third way? Thank you for your help again, in advance.

Hi

A lot of people will get their systems running just right and then do a baseline backup. That way they can restore a clean working system will all of the essential apps and updates quickly.

You could use that snapshot for your initial restore and then manually restore your data folders as needed. It is a little more work but it will give you some more certainty about the stability of your machine.

You can always run the restore of a backup that you suspect is safe. If it isn't just run another restore of the next earlier backup. In short, you don't have to do a clean install of windows every time you want to restore. As long as windows will boot and the client is functioning you can restrore as often as you like.

Nate

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I can restore the files as often as I can. If the restore I backed up is not safe,

I can go back to earlier backup point for giving another try. In that sense, even if

I restore earlier backup, will my data (ex: documents, photos, emails, etc.) keep most current, automatically? Or, do I have to select the point of time to be restored in each

data (folder) or all data, independent of other files, such as windows files?

I mean I want to keep my data most current, even if I have to go back to earlier point

of backup for stability of the system. What's the easiest and best way to do it?

Thanks.

Hi

In this case you will have to run 2 restores - one for the system and one with your current data. You will have to manually choose your data when you do the restore.

The best way to go about this is to know where you keep your data. Chances are most of it is in your documents and settings folder. Restoring only that folder after you have restored the working system is probably your best bet.

Nate

Archived