Two tape drives, unattended script, tape 1 ejects before comparison

fjk

Hi, I have two tape drives to backup many clients. My server is running Retro 6.5 and I turned comparison on. Drive 1 writes to the end of tape, ejects the tape and switches operations to drive 2. However, when it is time to compare Retrospect requests me to reinsert tape 1 in a drive. How can I keep tape 1 online until Retrospect is finished comparing the saveset contents with contents of the client disk?

Thanks,

Two tape drives. Drive 1 - Sony SDT-S10000; drive 2 - HP Ultrium 215. Both connected through the 32-bit Ultra2 SCSI 68-pin LSI Logic 8951U controller.

The backup server is running MS Windows XP Pro, SP1.

Retrospect 6.5 trial edition. I don't know whether it is using any Advanced Tape add-on. How do I tell which add-ons are present and/or used?

I want to use the "compare" function since it verifies that the original backup was done correctly. To run unattended scripts I need to use a second drive so that Retrospect can switch to it once the first tape is full. What are the restrictions on using multiple drives?

This could be happening because these are very different tape technologies. If you were going from DAT to DAT, I would expect it to work, but DAT and LTO are of different media families and automated spanning between them is not supported.

DAT and LTO write at different block sizes and use different buffer sizes, making the process much more complex.

Granted that writing to dissimilar tape drives might be difficult for Retrospect. However, the Retro 6.5 script does continue writing correctly to the second tape drive. The problem is that it ejects the first tape before running a comparison on its contents. This is annoying since I need to reinsert the tape manually. This partly defeats the purpose of "unattended" backup. Once this tape is reinserted, Retrospect has no trouble verifying the integrity of the backed up data, or restoring from either tape drive, if asked to.

Generally, what are the restrictions on multiple tape drives, or on multiple storage media?

Thanks,

Archived