Quandary (or spending the firm's cash)

Greetings All,

For the last 4 years, we've been using Retrospect for our network backups without a hitch. The backup device is a HP DAT tape library. However, the backups are starting to take all weekend and into Monday morning. So I am looking at other alternative media. I've narrowed the field down to two possible solutions. I would like to inquire if others could review and offer opinions with either solutions.

The dedicated (more or less) computer will be either a PowerMac 9500 (with Sonnet Crescendo G3 300 MHz upgrade card) or a G3 mini-tower (266 MHz). I'm going to attempt to install OS X and upgrade to Retrospect 5.x

Choice 1:

Install a Adaptec PowerDomain 29160 SCSI card and connect it to a Sony SDX-500C internal AIT-2 (50/130 GB) tape drive.

Choice 2:

Install a Sonnet Allegro FW800 FireWire card and purchase two LaCie 400 or 500 GB external hard disks for alternating backups.

My search of the product compatibility database didn't throw up any red flags. The only thing I didn't see was any compatibility notes about the Firewire 800 protocol.

If anyone with any experience with either solutions could offer any tips or warnings, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Quote:

The dedicated (more or less) computer will be either a PowerMac 9500 (with Sonnet Crescendo G3 300 MHz upgrade card) or a G3 mini-tower (266 MHz). I'm going to attempt to install OS X and upgrade to Retrospect 5.x

"Attempt" to install? Running OS X on hardware that Apple doesn't support is not going to provide you with a reliable backup machine. Dantz doesn't claim that Retrospect will work on such machines.

File Backup Sets work through regular OS file copy calls, so if the FW800 hard drive works under the OS X Finder it will most likley work from Retrospect.

Dave

Quote:

"Attempt" to install? Running OS X on hardware that Apple doesn't support is not going to provide you with a reliable backup machine. Dantz doesn't claim that Retrospect will work on such machines.

Well, that decides it for me. <grin> The backup machine will be the G3 mini tower. At least Apple supports an X installation on it. I'll still install X on the 9500 for an intern workstation. I've got to somehow drag the owners into the twenty first century. They howled when I retired the old IIx, thought it was a perfectly good computer for the media buyer. But she didn't.

Quote:

File Backup Sets work through regular OS file copy calls, so if the FW800 hard drive works under the OS X Finder it will most likley work from Retrospect.

Thanks Dave,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

There are only two ways to do this computer stuff:

1. Buy hardware and never upgrade any software on it. Throw it all away after 5 years and buy everything new.

2. Buy hardware, upgrade the software, have a nightmare, sell the hardware at a loss and get new hardware which can run the software you just upgraded.

Sounds like your company are firm believers in version 1.

The only way you are going to have fun with new software is with hardware aged max. 1 year.

Otherwise it's an awful, awful way to go.

Just my humble opinion, of course. wink.gif

Archived