Contents of C drive larger after restore

terry

I am using Express as backup. Had a major problem and restored complete C drive for the first time. Before the problem, I had around 5.5 gig on c drive. When Norton antivirus scanned , was 106,000 files. Now, I have 10 gig and Norton scans 204,000 files.

I did system restore, thinking it would restore my c drive and programs as they were before. But, Start, programs, there were no programs, so I installed all the applications again.

It is clear I don't understand what has happened. Is it possible I have duplicate data on my c drive? I cannot see it when looking at windows explorer?

When doing the restore, you should be using "restore entire disk" so we can erase the current disk contents and replace it with the data being restored, including the registry.

If you did a "duplicate" not a "backup", then this process is much more complex because the duplicate does not include the registry with Express.

Mayoff, I thought I did a complete restore, but now I am beginning to wonder. Had lots of problems after I did restore. Had to reload windows. Since my system now has much more on the c drive, sounds like I may have screwed up.

Do I understand correctly, a complete system restore would have all your applications installed as they were before?

Any suggestons on how to get rid of the extra mess?

Thanks

On second thought, I am sure I did a restore entire disk, because I remember inserting the disaster recovery cd.

I am still confused. Should a system restore reinstall everything. Are applications put back as they were. Or does it just install files. It seems some programs were there and installed but they do not show at start\programs. If you go to explorer, program files, the programs are there and you can open them. If you go to ctl panel, install/uninstall, they are not listed.

Anyone have any Idea?

If you backed up all files, then the restore entire disk will delete files from the disk that were not included with the original backup.

The restore then adds any missing files and registry.

When done, everything should be back in it's original location and all of the restored programs should work as they did before.

Archived