Restoring OSX, system not recognized

I installed an new slave drive and wanted to restore all of my OS9 and OSX files and end up with a drive that is bootable in OS9 or OSX. I did the OS9 restore first and it worked. All the files were restored to a folder by Retrospect 5 and then I pulled the OS9 system folder out of that folder and although the system folder appeared generic it was blessed. So far so good.

Next I Restored the OSX files and they also were put into a folder. At this point I dragged all the OSX folders out of that restore folder and saw that these folders were also generic but my problem was that the OSX folder is not recongnized by the system as bootable.

Did I do it wrong or is there another step to be taken?

Quote:

I dragged all the OSX folders out of that restore folder and saw that these folders were also generic but my problem was that the OSX folder is not recongnized by the system as bootable.

Did I do it wrong or is there another step to be taken?

You did something wrong.

You can only Restore a bootable OS X volume to the root level of that volume. The OS X System folder is nothing like we knew (and loved) about the old System Folder.

And your Backup will have to be of the entire volume, too. You can't just pick and choose what system files/folders gets backed up in OS X, or you won't be able to Restore a bootable system.

Dave

Archived