Restoring OS X volume from OS 9 parition

Dear forum,

I want to know how to restore the contents of my OS X volume. That is, I have two hard drives in my G4/500 desktop computer. Somehow the system on the OS X volume got seriously corrupted. Fortunately, I have a current and complete copy of the OS X volume in a backup set. Right now the G4 is operating under OS 9.1 and I intend to reformat the OS X hard disk and then reinstall OS X from the original installer CD all over again. The CD contains OS X 10.2.4.

The question is, how much of what is in the backup set can I restore? Should I simply reinstall OS X from the original CD, then insert the information from various libraries and folders into the fresh system? My backup set does have the entire OS X hard disk image including the corrupted system. Things I am concerned with include the components of QuickBooks, and Microsoft Entourage. For Entourage, do I simply restore the "Microsoft User Data" folder to: ~/Documents? And what about restoring my Palm folder and drivers?

I would appreciate any suggestions or help so I don't screw it up.

Thanks,

Joe V

You can restore everything on the OS X volume, but NOT when booted into OS 9!!

You have one of two routes that you can take. Both require that the boot volume at the time of restore be OS X. The choices are basically to boot off a new install of OS X on the volume that has been damaged, or to boot from some other disk with OS X. If you reinstall OS X on the damaged disk after reformatting, in order to do a complete restore the version of OS X on the disk and in the backup set must be *identical*. So for example, your CD has 10.2.4. If the version in the backup set had been updated to 10.2.6, then you would need to bring the installed 10.2.4 up to exactly 10.2.6 before trying to restore the entire disk. This only applies if you are restoring the entire disk, not if you decide to restore only selected documents, etc.

The other alternative, booting off another OS X disk, is not as restrictive. The versions of OS X don't need to match. If you have Retrospect 5.1, the installer CD is a bootable OS X volume and can be used for doing the restore (assuming the backup set wasn't written to CDs). In your case you also have your OS 9 disk. If there is room you could add OS X to that volume and then use that OS X volume to repair the other disk. If you boot from some other OS X disk make certain that "Ignore permissions on this disk" is *not* checked for the disk you are repairing. (The wording of the option is from memory, so this may not be exactly correct. It is found by selecting the disk, Get Info... > Ownership & Permissions.) This is very important or the newly restored OS X disk will be worthless.

If you restore the entire disk you will want to think about when the damage occurred (if it can be pinned down). You would want to select a snapshot for restoring the entire disk (including system) that predates that. You could then go forward and do a second restore of, for example, your entire home directory from the most recent snapshot.

Archived