and then why Retrospect uses that date as the modified date for the

folder it creates when Restoring files.

Some more background.....

I run a Restore for some files and direct them to be saved in a new

folder.

Then when I view that folder (with others) it has taken on a date that

is obviously not the latest date of any new or modified files in that

backup. It turns out that the date is the modification date of the

partition where the original files reside.

Curiously I'd like to know why Retrospect uses that date and what causes

a change in a partition's modified date?

But also, is there any easy way to know what are the most recent files

that are included in a restore or do I need to expand all folders and

rank by date?

Hope the questions are clear.

Thanks for any help.

Original poster trying again to generate some interest in my questions. :-)

I looked again at a "Restore" and noticed that many of the enclosing folders being restored have taken on the date of the restore not their date on backup.

Why?

I gather from lack of responses this is not an issue of concern for others.

I'm trying to quickly assess what has been restored and when those folders or files were created. I had always assumed that a Retrospect Backup saved the dates of all folders and used them when Restored.

Now I find that is not so.

Any help appreciated. Thanksl.

Retrospect sets the modify date and time of every single locally restored or duplicated folder to the current time if you are running under OS X. This is to avoid a problem in the OS X Finder where the Finder would continue to show the previous contents of folders until you restart or log out. By setting the modify date and time of all local restored and duplicated folders, Retrospect forces the Finder to show the proper contents of all folders immediately.

If you must do a restore or duplicate preserving the original modify dates of items, you may disable our date updating function using a secret preference. Launch Retrospect, hold down the option key, and click Special>Preferences. In the dialog that appears, click on the File System item in the list, then check "Restore Folder Modification Dates" and click OK. Be aware, however, that with this preference set, local restores and duplicates may not show the data copied until you restart or log out and back into the OS. The whole issue only affects OS X users.

Trying to understand. If I've backed up a hard drive yesterday and there are now problems and I run a restore of that drive to another partition or drive and want to visually compare folders and files, then I have to follow your tip of changing preferences before running restore and then after restoring I must restart???

Do I have it correct?

Confusing. No wonder this old, older rookie, is taking time fully migrating to OS X and has not even started to do that on his wife's computer.

Thanks.

The preference will only affect folder dates, not file dates. But yes, if you want to visually compare attributes of folders after a restore, you would need to unmark the preference and then you may need to log out/in or restart for the correct folder contents to appear.

Archived