Problems w/ 10.2.8? Or NFS?

Greetings.

I updated the G4 that runs Retrospect Workgroup for me to 10.2.8 the other day. Everything seemed to be working fine until today, when I tried to restore a Windows XP image that resides on a (automounted) NFS mount.

I can get through the restore path until I select the backup set needed, then Retrospect hangs with the spinning beach ball, and I have to do a Force Quit to get it back. When I tail /var/log/system.log, I see the following:

Sep 24 11:17:59 ringo /sbin/autodiskmount[295]: DiskArbUnmountAndEjectRequest_async_rpc(diskIdentifier = 'affirmed.as.utexas.edu:/data3/affirmed', flags = $00000000): LookupDiskByIOBDSName failed

If I do a tail -f, this message pops up right after I hit "Ok" on the select backup set screen.

I did a google search on "LookupDiskByIOBDSName", and got two results which seemed to point to prior problems with Samba/CIFS mounts. I saw nothing on Apple's discussion forums, and nothing on macosxhints.com.

After looking at the two hits on google, I tried entering the machine the mount was on into the "machines" directory of NetInfo, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't necessarily Retrospect's fault, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else had seen this and found a workaround.

Here's some information I'll get pestered for if I don't give it anyways.

Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a G4/466 w/ 256MB RAM

Retrospect Workgroup (5.0.238)

NFS mount resides on a Linux box, the mount was set up using NFS Manager, and I can browse to the mount in the Finder just fine.

Any ideas? Any information someone wants to see that I forgot to give?

Thanks,

Dario

Quote:

I tried to restore a Windows XP image that resides on a (automounted) NFS mount.

Can you be more clear as to exactly what you're attempting to do?

- Does the NFS mount contain a Retrospect File Backup Set (to be used as the Restore's Source)?

- What is the Destination?

- How large is the File Backup Set?

- What happens when you attempt to drag copy this file from the Finder to a local volume?

Dave

- Does the NFS mount contain a Retrospect File Backup Set (to be used as the Restore's Source)?

Yes.

- What is the Destination?

A Windows XP client.

- How large is the File Backup Set?

~2.1 GB

- What happens when you attempt to drag copy this file from the Finder to a local volume?

Works just fine.

This image has been restored to two other boxes prior to the 10.2.8 upgrade. I have imaged and restored numerous (10+) Windows XP boxes prior to the upgrade. I'm almost willing to state with certainty that the client in this case is irrelevant and/or is not the problem, the restore process doesn't even get to selecting a client before Retrospect hangs.

Thanks,

Dario

Archived