OSX & superdrive firmware versions

from a recent Knowdledge Base Doc:

>>PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

The MKE (MATSHITA) UJ-815 SuperDrive requires firmware revision D0CB or later and Retrospect 5.0 with Retrospect Driver Update 3.6.106 or later.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.<<

sooooo, i look @ my particular superdrive and it is a MATSHITA, product identification DVD-R UJ-815, device revision D0C4. how do i determine if firmware D0CB pre-dates or post-dates D0C4??

Quote:

tgb said:

sooooo, i look @ my particular superdrive and it is a MATSHITA, product identification DVD-R UJ-815, device revision D0C4. how do i determine if firmware D0CB pre-dates or post-dates D0C4??

The revision number D0C4 is a hex number and is a smaller number than DOCB. Also, the Flash Updater should know about applicability when it runs. It looks for the version by itself and compares them as you just did. That's another way to find out.

So the answer to your question is, about the convention of numbering revisions- yours is earlier than the later D0CB version because it is a smaller number. blush.gif

Regards,

Henry

Archived