win6.0 clients with multiple adaptors - not working, after BindListener registry fix

Hi there,

We are seeing problems with two XP laptops related to the multiple adaptor problem referred to in Dantz tech note 413. Both machines are running client 6.0. Our server is MacOS X running Retrospect 5.0.238.

On both of these machines we were seeing -541 errors until we made the BindListener change as noted in the tech note. Both worked fine for a while and then stopped working - checking them from the server side (i.e. going to Configure, Clients and then double-clicking on the client), they are both still visible but prompt for the client password. The correct password being entered here leads to a "sorry, that password is incorrect" dialog box, although the password is definitely correct. We fixed this on both machines last time by reinstalling the client and re-doing the registry patch. Now the problem has recurred.

Can anyone advise here?

Thanks

Toby Blake

University of Edinburgh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Replying to my own post here, but I have a bit more information regarding this, so hopefully someone from Dantz can advise.

This problem happened again this week on a completely different client - this one win2k but with the same retro client - once again this machine is one with more than one interface (wireless and ethernet) and has had the BindListener registry fix to enable it to work. The problem was identical - machine had stopped being backed up, and checking it from the server resulted in me being prompted for the password - it again refused to accept the correct one.

This time however, I did a 'Repair' of the client (i.e. ran the client setup again and selected the repair option). Checking from the server again, I was still being prompted for the password. Although this time I just pressed Return - and hey presto, I was into the configuration pages.

So, I have a couple of questions about this.

1. What does a 'Repair' do? Does it reset the password?

2. If not, how else could the password be being reset? Is there any way I can check this from the client machine? If I 'telnet client 497' is there anything I can do here to speak directly to the client and get it to give me useful information.

I suppose this brings up a third question....

3. Is there any chance that this is fixed in Retro 5.1? We haven't upgraded to this so far as it appears to offer little new apart from some bug fixes.

Thanks in advance

Toby Blake

University of Edinburgh

Hi there,

Is there anyone from Dantz who would be willing to give me feedback on this? I am perfectly willing to try and debug the problem myself, but need a bit more technical information, i.e. where to look on the client, can I actually 'talk' to the client to find out things about it?

Also, does nobody else see this problem at all? This seems to fairly consistently affect machines with more than one interface and with the BindListener fix enabled. As all laptops come with wireless, this problem could affect increasing numbers of users. Is this fixed in Retro 5.1 (as I've said already, I'm not keen on upgrading to this as it seems to offer very little for a paid upgrade).

I also note that the 6.5 client fixes the two-interface problem, but I can't use it with retro 5.0 on the Mac - could I use it with 5.1?

Toby

OK, so it looks like I definitely do have to upgrade to 5.1 to fix this bug. Thanks for that info.

I've been somewhat less than keen on that so far as 5.1 seems to offer very little apart from bug fixes to justify being a major paid-for upgrade, not matter how much padding is in the addendum. But then, I'm not the first person to mention this.

Cheers

Toby

Archived