just a simple incremental backup problem

my reference is the retrospect 5.0 printed user's guide, 2002. operating system is OSX 10.2.1.

i have succeded in getting an immediate backup to a firewire hd (couple of times). but when i want to do an incremental backup, it don't get anything like what is indicated on page 16, right column. instead, i get a monster laundry list of files. left column is a bunch of horizontal lines, of varying length and some are darker than others. the right column is a listing of files and folders with & without check marks. i can't seem to check or uncheck any. i have never seen the little preview dialogue and the "need to copy" note.

i've got the retrospect directory dialogue box open and when i click on backup, i never seem to be taken in the direction of doing just the incremental backup. what am i missing??

using retrospect 5.0238.

tia.

What you are seeing is a complete listing of the disks contents. The bars on the left are a "zoomed out" version of the same file listing so you can keep track of where you are in the list. The checks are things that need to be backed up (which would be everything if you are doing a standard backup) and the diamonds indicate the files that already exists in the backup set and so don't need to be written again. Therefore, the only files that will actually be written to the backup set are those with checks that do *not* have a diamond. To change the check marks, select the item (or closed folder for the entire contents) and click Mark or Unmark in the top right corner, as appropriate. Once you are done making any changes (which would normally be nothing) just close this window and you will get to the backup dialog box that I think you are talking about. To get back to the selection window, click on the Preview button in the backup dialog box.

I guess what is throwing me off is the number of times retrospect seems to always want to do ANOTHER folder/file scan.

So, I believe I have successfully created a revision to the BackUp Set A file. And I guess what I was thinking is that retrospect will automatically write/copy all the changed files to the backup drive.

However, when I looked for a particular file that I knew had been recently modified/created, it was not on the backup drive.

Is it important to take another next step?

My thought process here is...the master drive is lost/stolen/destroyed. I plug in the backup drive to a new computer and wish to copy all the now missing files to this new computer. Have I taken all steps necessary to ensure that this can be accomplished?

Quote:

So, I believe I have successfully created a revision to the BackUp Set A file. And I guess what I was thinking is that retrospect will automatically write/copy all the changed files to the backup drive.

However, when I looked for a particular file that I knew had been recently modified/created, it was not on the backup drive.

It sounds like you are almost there, but are slightly confused about how Retrospect works. Assuming you are doing a Backup (not a duplicate), then when you do an incremental backup Retrospect is putting a copy of all the changed files into the backup set file. You can't see inside this file in the Finder to see what is in the backup. You can see how big it is though, it should be large after your original backup!

To do another incremental backup by hand without previewing all the files:

Immediate > Backup

Select the sources, say Local Desktop.

Select the destination, say "Backup Set A".

Click Backup.

When it is finished, you can check what went into the backup by using Reports > Contents and browsing the last session in the backup set. This should list just the changed files that got backed up, which is a much smaller list than previewing the whole backup.

The alternative to a Backup is a Duplicate. A Duplicate is quite like copying the files using the Finder, but smarter. smile.gif

Thanks for all the great responses - and the patience!

>>It sounds like you are almost there, but are slightly confused about how Retrospect works. Assuming you are doing a Backup (not a duplicate), then when you do an incremental backup Retrospect is putting a copy of all the changed files into the backup set file. You can't see inside this file in the Finder to see what is in the backup. You can see how big it is though, it should be large after your original backup!

When it is finished, you can check what went into the backup by using Reports > Contents and browsing the last session in the backup set. This should list just the changed files that got backed up, which is a much smaller list than previewing the whole backup.

The alternative to a Backup is a Duplicate. A Duplicate is quite like copying the files using the Finder, but smarter.<<

I guess I'm not 100% sure what happens to any given file.

If the files contained on the backup drive is not a physical, mirror image of the Retrospect Backup Set "Q", then if I have had a total primary drive failure (or the primary drive is subject to a 'disappearance or theft'), is all the information I need to recreate the most recent set of files on the primary drive all contained in that backup set "Q"?????

Regarding Duplicate. I assume this is a process akin to using carbon paper in a typewriter. Whatever I type on the top page is transferred to the second page. And whatever set of files exist at the time of the duplication, are carried to the backup (duplicate) set of files. Later if the file 'xyz.doc' is modified to xyz1.doc, when I duplicate, xyz.doc is replaced by xyz1.doc.

Which is not what I am especially interested in having/doing. I may need to go back to file xyz.doc. And I'm hoping Retrospect's "incremental" function is capable of retaining xyz.doc and xyz1.doc, even if xyz.doc is erased or completely missing.

Put another way, there are files and sets of files I wish to maintain in backup on a "backup" drive, but not necessarily on the everyday "master" drive. Is Retrospect designed or capable of doing this? Or do I need to rethink my methodology?

Thanks!

tb

Quote:

is all the information I need to recreate the most recent set of files on the primary drive all contained in that backup set "Q"?????

Yes. (Or to be more exact, you can recreate the set of files at your last backup.)

Quote:

And I'm hoping Retrospect's "incremental" function is capable of retaining xyz.doc and xyz1.doc, even if xyz.doc is erased or completely missing.

Yes. The backup set contains every version of every file that has been backed up. Copies do not get replaced by newer versions or deleted from the backup set, until you do a "Recycle" and start over again.

Archived