Backup Windows XP client to Windows disk

The Duplicate operation will allow you to duplicate a volume on one client to a volume on another client. However, there is a Note in the manual that states you cannot duplicate a subvolume on a client to another subvolume on the same client. Not having tried it before, I don't know how broadly to interpret this statement. Taken literally, it would not exclude what you want to do. However, I cannot image how it could be OK to duplicate drive C: to (say) drive D:, when it would not be OK to duplicate a folder (subvolume) on C: to a folder on D:. I suggest you try it :-) What I wouldn't recommend is trying to duplicate to the other disk mounted as a remote share on the MacOS X machine. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Retrospect can write to mounted network hard drives - however, there are a few limitations:

1. There is a 2-gig file size limit on backup sets saved on network volumes

2. Retrospect runs as Root and does not have read/write permissions to a network volume that was mounted by another user. The workaround in Retrospect is to configure the network volume(s) for auto-login as outlined in the Retrospect Read Me. However, only AFP mounted volumes are supported in this manner. We have not done any testing with DAVE volumes.

Archived