Unable to add OS X client 541 error multiple clients

Hello all, I am unable to add an OS X client to our Backup Servers. Although we have premium support I haven't had luck phoning and am hoping the forum will come through.

This one client cannot be added to two different backup servers, all running OS X. I was hoping 5.1 would solve the problem, but it has not. Adding Client using subnet broadcast this message appears:

> "Can't login Error 541, client not installed or not running"

However the Client says "waiting for first install"

The client is a PowerMac G4 AGP with 512mb ram, is set up with DHCP manually in Sys Prefs->Network

Firewall is off

OS X 10.2.6

Adding by TCP/IP address this message appears:

> "Activator Code conflict found

> See the log window for details different computers may become confused with

> one another, causing backups to fail."

The log says:

> "Activator Code is used for multiple clients:

> Guy Friedman at 127.0.0.1

> Guy Friedman at 123.456.789.123"

The second IP address is the valid one. We are running

Retrospect v5.1.167 Backup Server on two different G4s (AGP w/867MB ram, OS X 10.2.6 and QuickSilver w 1.1GB ram, OS X 10.2.4) Both Servers exhibit the same behavior and have over a hundred clients backed up successfully.

The 5.1 client installation software was copied to the desktop of the G4 client, and has been installed and removed several times, including cold shutdowns in between. Retrospect Client Status says "Waiting for first access".

Other steps:

Disk Warrior was run

Apple Disk Utility was run

Apple File Permissions check was run

I've connected my iBook at this ethernet network location and it can be added and backed up.

Thanks in advance.

-Chik

Quote:

The 5.1 client installation software was copied to the desktop of the G4 client, and has been installed and removed several times, including cold shutdowns in between. Retrospect Client Status says "Waiting for first access".

What's the Computer Name as shown in the Sharing preference pane?

Uninstall the Client, rename the Computer with something simple, reinstall the Client and try again.

Just a hunch.

Dave

Archived