Can I do a partial tape transfer?

21c3D

We're running Retrospect (Workgroup Edition) 5.6.132. Twice so far we've tried to transfer a 700gig tape set from forty-seven 15gig DLT tapes onto an as-yet-unspecified number of 110gig Super DLT tapes, and encountered an operation-halting problem each time (bad media and an unstoppable hang). Is there some way to do a tape set transfer operation starting partway through the set (for example, from tape 26 onward), or do we have to start over yet again and use up many more days?

I'll probably go with this method, but it's unfortunate since I'll essentially have two backup sessions on one set of tapes, rather than one full cloned session. I was hoping there was some way for Retrospect to automatically detect the aborted session.

Does the newest version of Retrospect have any feature like this? If so, or if it's more reliable (in terms of not giving us such a hassle during copy tape set operations), we would want to upgrade.

There were no changes made to the "Transfer" feature with Retrospect 6.5. One other option would be to use a "Selector" to limit the number of files you are transferring, which may cut down on the number of errors you are experiencing when reading from the old tapes. Examples would include: Copy only documents, Copy only files newer then a certain date, etc. Detailed information on Selectors can be found in the User's Guide.

Archived