Can't get local drive backup to incremental on top of off site DDS3

I took the leap from a Win2K server and set up an OS X.2.6 workstation as our new "server". I am using DDS3 for off site weekly backups and trying to use a second local drive for daily incrementals...

Problem is, after I successfully backup 35GB to three removable tapes, the local "normal/incremental backup" tries to back the entire 35GB again. I only want to back up the changed files in their own local backup file.

Is this possible, or should I just buy a bigger backup drive and allow the daily incremental to create its initial large backup?

Quote:

Is this possible, or should I just buy a bigger backup drive and allow the daily incremental to create its initial large backup?

No, you cannot mix media in a Retrospect Backup Set.

Having a File Backup onsite and your tapes rotating off-site will allow for faster Restores and the secuirty of remote copies of your data. Get the big drive.

Dave

Quote:

Problem is, after I successfully backup 35GB to three removable tapes, the local "normal/incremental backup" tries to back the entire 35GB again. I only want to back up the changed files in their own local backup file.

As Dave pointed out, backup sets are independent, and you gain convenience with a full local backup.

If you use a selector for the local backup that only includes files modified in the last seven days (say) you get something like what you were looking for. You do still get files backed up in both the tape and local backup, but you don't get the old files into the local backup. (So this is only a saving for the first local backup.)

Archived