Device not found

philhare

After purchasing v6.0, trying to us on a NAS server and waiting for the free patches I finally had to purchase 6.5 (not at all happy about that one as I waited over 30 days and could not get a refund!)

After installing 6.5 I backed up for about 2 weeks until I decided to erase a tape.

Then "no tape device found" came up.

I'm using a sony AIT3 sdx 500 on a Sony Storstaion running Windows 2000 SP4.

Why would the Tape device suddenly disaapear and how do i get it back.

Does the drive show up in the Windows Device Manager? If so, what information is provided?

Is this a single tape drive or is it part of tape library (loader)?

Do you see the drive listed in Retrospect under Configure > Devices > Environment? If so, list any information provided.

Do you have any other backup software loaded on this computer (excluding Windows NTBackup)? If so, try uninstalling it to ensure there is no conflict with Retrospect.

Are you logging in as an Administrator? Windows 2000 limits access to tape drives while logged in as a non-admin user.

Try power-cycling your set up. Shut down the computer then the tape drive. Wait a few minutes. Power up the tape drive fully and then the computer. SCSI devices must always be powered on before the computer to prevent damage to the drive and/or the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the drive show up in the Windows Device Manager? If so, what information is provided?

Is this a single tape drive or is it part of tape library (loader)?

Do you see the drive listed in Retrospect under Configure > Devices > Environment? If so, list any information provided. ++ No nothing.

Do you have any other backup software loaded on this computer (excluding Windows NTBackup)? If so, try uninstalling it to ensure there is no conflict with Retrospect. ++ No nothing except Windows

Are you logging in as an Administrator? Windows 2000 limits access to tape drives while logged in as a non-admin user. +++ Yes I'm an Domain Admin

Try power-cycling your set up. Shut down the computer then the tape drive. Wait a few minutes. Power up the tape drive fully and then the computer. SCSI devices must always be powered on before the computer to prevent damage to the drive and/or the computer.

++ Tried it many times.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the files the sony uses so Windows 2000 will auto recognise the hardware after a search in Device manager?

Hi

An earlier post of yours has me wondering. You said you uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the tape drive in device manager right?

The drive must be "disabled" not uninstalled in device manager. It should have a big red x through it. Retrospect has its own drivers for scsi devices so it doesn't need windows drivers.

Nate

• 1 month later...

Hi

Retropsect polls for devices at lauch. If there is a SCSI communication problem

CPU usage will go up when this happens. Try disconnecting the tape drive and then launching Retrospect. CPU usage should stay low.

Since this worked for a while but then suddenly stopped the problem is likely caused by device failure or poor SCSI communication. Can you try this tape drive on another machine?

Can you run a backup with NT backup on this machine?

Thanks

Nate

Archived