Retrospect requires administrator privileges.....

TooTall

Hi all,

As of two days ago Retrospect now puts up a message stating " Retrospect requires administrator privileges for backup" everytime it starts, and we have to click continue, the message also prevents scripts from starting automatically.

Nothing was changed in the preferences or the machine between the time it was working and the time it stopped. THe preferences still shows that it is set to launch as the Administrator account, and it shows administrator at the top after it opens.

Anyone have any ideas???

TooTall

ps.s I did realize I did install the last windows update for KB824146 just before this problem arose.

• 2 years later...

> Change Retrospect to use "logged on user"

In my case I just reinstalled Windows XP and Retrospect. It works fine when I am logged in as administrator, but when logged in as a normal user I get this message. Configure, Preferences, Security is ALREADY set to "Run Retrospect as the logged-in user".

What exactly is Retrospect trying to do that requires admin privileges? Write to the tape drive? Open a network connection to other machines? I realize a normal user cannot read (and therefore cannot backup) other users files from the LOCAL machine, but that's not my plan anyhow. I installed the client on my local machine just like any other machine, and will backup from that. (Tried it already; it works.)

The message's disclaimer "some features may fail" seems awfully broad. This could suggest anything from some seldom-used option to complete failure of enterprise-wide recovery.

> You may also want to try setting up a "Retropect" user on your machine.

"Try"? So we're just guessing here? Is there something special about the user name Retrospect? Or were you thinking this user would be setup with admin privileges? Would I then need to login under this user name before starting my daily backups (which take most all day anyhow, so I'd rarely get to drop privileges back to a normal user).

Retrospect Backup Multi Server Version 6.5.350; not planning to spend any more money on upgrades to a package that glibly admits "some features may fail".

Also found that it IS possible to make a backup to tape as a normal (not admin) user, if you first log in as administrator, use Windows Explorer to find your catalog files, select them all, right click, Properties, Security, Add, enter the name(s) of users who should be allowed to make backups, then check the box to Allow full control for those users.

If there are other features that "may fail" when Retrospect is being used by a non-admin user, I'd sure like to know about them BEFORE said failure occurs.

Archived