Windows 2000: ASAPI or NT pass thru

kaikow

In Win 2000, ASPI is installed:

1. Does retrospect use ASPI or NT pass thru?

It seems that Tools | Configure | Devices uses ASPI if ASPI is installed.

2. Does the version of ASPI matter?

3. Is it better to use NT pass thru?

System has:

SCSI: Adaptec 2940UW with 3 hard drives, 1 CD-ROM drive and 1 tape drive.

ATAPI: ZIP drive and CD-RW drive.

USB: 2 external USB 2 drives connected to a USB adapter card, not to the mobo.

Hi

If it aint broke...

Retrospect will use ASPI 4.6 or higher if it is installed. If it is not installed it will use NT passthrough. You can also force Retrospect to use NT passthrough if you like Some people say ASPI is faster. I have yet to see a quantifiable difference however certain few device/hardware configurations will only run with ASPI.

The moral of the story is if your backups are running properly - don't install it.

Nate

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

If it aint broke...

Retrospect will use ASPI 4.6 or higher if it is installed. If it is not installed it will use NT passthrough. You can also force Retrospect to use NT passthrough if you like Some people say ASPI is faster. I have yet to see a quantifiable difference however certain few device/hardware configurations will only run with ASPI.

The moral of the story is if your backups are running properly - don't install it.

Nate

How does one force Retrospect to use NT pass thru?

I only need ASPI to run Western Digital's SCSI utilities to monitor drive temperature.

Quote:

Scott(BAH) said:

I would really like to know the answer to this also. I've been debating wether to install ASPI on my systems or to just leave it at NT Passthrough.

I'm using Adaptec 29160LP with ATL L200 (DLT 7000 autoloader).

What are the Pros / Cons of ASPI over NT Pass through?

-Scott

My gut feeling, and I do have a big gut, is that ASPI should not be used unless absolutely necessary to reduce the chance of conflict with application specifics aSPI code.

As I recall, Adaptec even has this advice in the docs distributed with its ASPI code.

Since I'm using a multiboot system, I can always just have aSPI on a partition in which Retrospect is not installed, but then I've got the nuisance of rebooting, in thos case, just to use a particular Western Digital SCSI utility.

Sinc WD no longer sells SCSI drives, they did not bother to update their utilities to use NT passthru. Actually, untill recently, I thought that the programs only worked in Win 98, but I then installed win 2000 over Win 98, which had ASPI installed and discovered that the WD programs worked in win 2000 using ASPI.

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

You cannot. Most users never need to look at the secret preferences. They are hidden so the product is more easily useable for entry level users. However they are easily availble for advanced users like yourself

Nate

I find no mention of such preferences in the user's guide or even a mention of how to access the critters using the keys.

Nor is the REtrospect Help useful in this area.

• 1 year later...

With the appropriate respect due a longstanding successful program like Retrospect---

still

the secret preferences are a very poor move. Until I found the NT SCSI pass thru preferences, I was totally puzzled why my Retrospect backups to DVD were running at 40 MB/min instead of 200 MB/min as they had before I switched from Retrospect 5.6 to 6.5.

Totally irresponsible. I wasted 4 DVD+R disks and 4 hours on this issue before finding these posts.

Roy Planalp

Archived