RESTORE FROM DOS?

joshmaxwell

If the Winodws OS no longer loads, is there a way to restore an entire disk from the backup file using a boot disk, or something like this?

I'm trying to find a best way to restore an entire image of the c:\, from an external USB hard disk, to a laptop hard drive. (Note: I am completely familiar with DOS and the USB hard disk -- I just don't know of any way to restore a retrospect backup file, other than through Windows. Obviously, I cannot restore it through Windows, because Windows exists on the c:.)

If this is not possible, I would greatly appreciate someone even telling me this, so I can find another solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Retrospect 5.5 and 5.6 includes the ability to make a bootable DR CD image for the local machine. The bootable CD will allow you to boot / restore without manually installing a temporary OS first. The bootable CD is outlined in the help files under Disaster Recovery.

Retrospect cannot run restores from DOS. Without a bootable CD you would need to install a temporary OS, install Retrospect and then perform a 'live' restore over the top of the temp installation.

Archived