BU to Hardrive strategy

I'm backing up four clients to a USB harddrive on my computer. I need a backup strategy to use. If I set up a single backup set to the hard drive, what happens when it's full? Do I do a recycle and lose everything in that set (which is all the data I have backed up)? Wouldn't it be better to run several backup sets, say six weeks worth, then recycle when that week comes up again? That way, when I recycle, I still have the other five weeks worth of data. But what if I want to keep at least one backup for a year?

I'm so confused.

Ed

Hi

Your multiple backup set strategy is perfect - that is what Retrospect is designed to do well. For your 1 year backups I suggest getting another huge disk and using it as a long term back up. That disk will hold only the long term set so you can maximize the space on the disk.

Nate

And regardless of whether you use the same large drive or multiple drives (extra safety, off-site, etc.), you can archive short and long term backups with

1) Backup set A -- backup daily, recycle every (e.g.) six weeks

2) Backup set B -- backup (e.g.) weekly, recycle every (e.g.) year.

(with a few weeks offset from the Backup set A recycle)

Of course when you recycle Backup set B, you no longer have "a year's worth of backups" so you'd have to decide if you want to use yet another backup set (e.g. Backup set C) that you start using at the end of the year and *not* recycle set B at that time. With the large size and low price of harddrves, this kind of thing is cheap and easy.

Archived