I am trying to back up certain folders from a volume that is mounted on my computer in OSX. In previous versions i was able to select a Subvolume of a mounted volume and use it as my source for a backup. Now Retrospect doesnt show me the subvolumes. What gives?

More information: I cannot create a new folder on the mounted volume through Retrospect either. It says "Can't create folder, error -5000 (server: no privileges). I can, however, go right to my desktop and create a folder on the same volume.

I am running 5.0238 on a Mac running 10.2.6

Quote:

I am trying to back up certain folders from a volume that is mounted on my computer in OSX. In previous versions i was able to select a Subvolume of a mounted volume and use it as my source for a backup. Now Retrospect doesnt show me the subvolumes. What gives?

Although you don't reveal it directly, the volume is probably a mounted server volume.

The ReadMe that came with Retrospect describes how to correctly mount AFP volumes to allow the program to see them in OSX. There have also been many threads on these boards since 5.0 shipped of exactly this issue.

Apple did not do a very through job (yet?) of integrating AFP with OS X's concept of root.

Dave

The trick is that Retrospect is running with elevated privileges (in particular, as root) to allow it to back up all of the local computer. This interacts in unexpected ways with what you see yourself in the Finder. You and Retrospect are effectively logged in as two different users.

If you are lucky, it just works. (It does for me!)

If you are unlucky (probably because of strict permissions on your server volumes), you need to be careful to mount volumes in the "right" way. So you should set up the mounted volumes using the instructions Dave pointed out in the previous post.

After that, my advice is to always dismount all mounted volumes before you launch Retrospect. That way there is no conflict between ones mounted by "you" and the access "Retrospect/root" requires. Retrospect can mount the volumes itself as required once they are set up correctly.

Archived