OSX Server 10.2.6 Storage set unrecognisable after reinstall - install

Greetings all,

I've just updated our server from 10.1 to 10.2 and patched, by undertaking a full back-up, format and install.

Come to retrospect, I am following the FAQ approach to moving machines - as per this link http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26570

however I cannot get the fresh install of retrospect to recognise my storage sets. I've put them in the Retrospect folder, drag and dropped and tried other methods of associating files - but all unsuccessfully - OSX does not see the storage sets as recomeded file types to be associated with Retro App. The finder error I get when attempting association is -10814)

Permissions of the storage sets are rwx for admin user currently logged in and accessing Retro.

Thanks in advance.

BGB homer.gif

PS - Forgot to mention that I'm running version 10.2.6 Server and 5.0.238 Retro

While in Retrospect go to File > Open and navigate to the catalog files. If you are still having difficulty opening them, they may have become damaged when you compied them. You can always rebuild them from the media under Tools > Repair.

What did you back up to?

Hi AmyJ, and thanks

When I use the File, Open approach the catalogues are 'greyed out' and can not be selected for open.

I backed up the cat sets by copying them to a spare partition on the Server's HD.

Unfortunately, the cat sets have been running for several years and cover hundreds of gig of data - the idea of rebuilding sounds daunting and a last resort. Perhaps I am failing to see past the end of my nose... any brainstorms?

BGB

Quote:

Permissions of the storage sets are rwx for admin user currently logged in and accessing Retro.

Retrospect does not run as the user currently logged into the Aqua finder. And although it shouldn't matter (since Retrospect is running as root) the omission from your description of the full permission matrix makes me suspicious that you're leaving out some important information.

Why not chmod the catalog files to 777 (rwxrwxrwx) and see if that makes any difference?

>The finder error I get when attempting association is -10814

- How exactly are you "attempting association?"

- What is the exact and complete error message you see?

Dave

Hi, thanks for the reply, Dave

chmod to 777 made no difference unfortunately. The cat sets are still 'greyed out' and will not initilise/associate.

Initialise/Associate

My initial approach to this was as per the FAQ listed under the 'Initialize Catalogues' sub section, i.e. - move the files into the Retro folder. Next approach was to double click within the finder and locate Retrospect application. Third method involved adjusting association by CMD (i) <open with>. All have proved unsuccessful.

Error Message within finder

---------------------------------------------------------

The Operation could not be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -10814)

<gulp>, the're sharpening the guillotine in my office confused.gif

BGB

Quote:

The Operation could not be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -10814)

- What do you do that generates this error?

- Retrospect 5 still uses type/creator codes to associate documents with their parent applications.

There are plenty of OS X utilities that can view and change this information (XRay is good)

A tape backup catalog should be "Pery/Wrp2"

Hi Dave,

Ok, I have a partial solution. I tried the Xray download as Dave suggested and changed the values of an expendible back up set - and unfortunately that is now beyond help - so for readers of this thread in future - just to confirm - the xray download is NOT the way for you to go UNLESS the solution I outline below does not work for you.

If you encounter the same problem as I did, go to the TOOLS tab within Retrospec and then select REPAIR then REPAIR FILE BACKUP SET - locate the file on your HD and click repair. Now in my case Retrospect refuses to repair the set and instead tells me that the file is too heavily damaged or not a cat set at all - HOWEVER - the storage set is now accessible. Strange but true. I'm sure that there is still something terribly wrong with the storage sets, however I can now access them and can start thinking of a forward approach.

Thanks to callmeDave and AmyJ

BGB smile.gif

Quote:

tried the Xray download as Dave suggested and changed the values of an expendible back up set - and unfortunately that is now beyond help

You don't say what sort of Backup Set you experimented on, but if you set the "type" code to that of a tape set, but the catalog is actually something different, Retrospect is not going to be happy with it. I only gave the value for tape as an example (and because I didn't want to take the time to identify all the codes for all the different types of Backup Sets).

Each type of Backup Set file has a unique type code (just as different sorts of Photoshp or Word files have different type codes). You have to match them up correctly if you're going to edit those values.

Hi Dave,

It was tape set, but not a problem it was an old back-up set no longer used.

It is entirely possible that I did not use the software correctly - and for the record, my intention was not to insinuate that your advice was not first rate, Dave, but to provide advice to readers of the thread - I know how valuable I find existing threads. My apologies, Dave...my comments may have been clumsily chosen.

Thanks again

BGV smile.gif

PS - most functions are working fine (atm) - except for one volume of a set (DVDRAM drive) that cannot be accessed because retrospect states:

-----------------------------------------

12-Finished Work is not a member of this backup set.

Although it is named correctly, it has a different creation date: 5/23/2003 6:23 PM, instread of 5/23/2003 5:23 PM.

Please find the proper member or re-execute with the other backup set.

-----------------------------------------

I've edited the time of the volume file of the disk to the correct time (xray) but, no luck. Is there a way of just rebuilding that one volume of the cat set by any chance or of editing?

Thanks

BGB

• 2 weeks later...

Archived