How to Tf a large (>5Gb) file backup to DVD?

I have been backing up to a firewire drive from a computer that has died. I would like to keep a version of the backup, but not on the hard drive. It is a single file larger than 5Gb so it is too big to copy to a single DVD.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Is there a way to transfer the contents of my "file backup" to a DVD removable media backup (prefereably preserving snapshots)?

Is there anyway to split the file to copy it to 2 DVDs?

Can I use Retrospect to backup the file backup to a DVD backup?

Any clever solutions to this problem? (I will not be adding anything to this set)

Thanks for your ideas.

Quote:

I have been backing up to a firewire drive from a computer that has died. I would like to keep a version of the backup, but not on the hard drive. It is a single file larger than 5Gb so it is too big to copy to a single DVD.

Is there a simple way to do this?

StuffIt Deluxe used to be able to segment a file into multiple archives of whatever size you wanted. The OS X version probably still has that capability. If you catalog is already compressed, set StuffIt's compression to none.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Yes, Stuffit Deluxe for OS X (v7) has a utility called DropSegment - which it appears should split the file into any size chunks I specify w/o even needing to "stuffit". If I don't write back - assume it works. (This could be a useful note to include in future manuals)

- Will

Acutally it can't be done w/ Stuffit Deluxe. Stuffit has a 4GB input size limit. But there I found another way that works, but it is a bit more involved. You must first make a disk image. This is apparently necessary for files containing Resource Forks so the data is not damaged in the process.

I used Spit&Concat 1.5 for OS X. This is shareware and can be downloaded from:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

1) run Disk Copy (apple utility)

- create a new blank disk image (make the size somewhat larger than the desired input file as the entire size won't be available for your file) - but not too much larger since this determines the size of the file that will be split.

- name this new disk image when prompted

- copy the file into the disk image (drag the file icon onto the mounted disk image)

2) now run the Split&Concat (split program to split the disk image.

- check the select output folder option -- to determine the destination for the split files.

- select the size of the output split segments (I think the max is 1900MB

- select file to be split. NOTE: select the .dmg file that you named in step 1 above (NOT the file on a mounted disk image).

- select the destination folder (any folder)

- split

Archived