Backup Disk Space

mmorey

I am a relatively new user of Retrospect 6.0. We put Retrospect on several computers in our office. Our OS is Windows 2000. We use hard drives as our backup media. For instance, a 68 GB SCSI hard drive uses a 72 GB ATA drive as a backup medium. All of our drives, both source and destination are compressed. All of us who have used the backup that makes snapshots have run into the same problem.

I'll give an example. The initial backup took a bit of time because it backed up about 20 GB of data. Each time a backup was performed, only the data not previously backed up was added to the backup set. So far so good. This seemed to work just fine for quite awhile. Then we all started getting the same message. It said the destination was full, and we had to name a new backup set and destination. At this point we got confused. Our source drive was about half full. The destination drive was about half full. There was plenty of room left. Is there a limit to how large a single backup set of snapshots can be? Are we doing something wrong?

The single-file size limit with NTFS is 1TB. With FAT32 it's 2GB. If you've gotten beyond that, that shouldn't be your problem.

I recently had a file backup set (full backup + multiple incrementals) on an NTFS dest. ATA drive reach over 90GB with RP6.5. At the rate the backup set was growing it was going to exceed my 120GB backup drive very soon, so I opted to exclude some stuff and recycle and it dropped to 20GB. So I don't thing there's a file-size limit for you here.

I don't have any recent experience with compressed source drives. But I do allow RP to compress the backups. A few large frequently-changing files being backed up incrementally + the snapshot overhead can rapidly fill a backup destination, so recycle intervals, backup intervals and exclusion filters can become important. But I can't reconcile this with the fact that you're saying that the backup drive is only half full when RP starts complaining. I don't *think* that RP does anything odd with the backup file (e.g. make a copy, backup additional files, then delete the original) that would explain that, and I wasn't seeing this with my 90GB backup file->120G harddrive.

Hi

When you get the destination full message can you save and backup to another backup set on that drive? How much other date can you save to that drive?

Could you turn off disk compression on the destination and then turn on software data compression in Retrospect? Compressing an already compressed file can actually cause it to grow in size. Maybe that is what is happening in your case?

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm having similar problems which I can't figure out: for example, one of my backup hard drives (153Gb NTFS) has 113Gb of backed-up data, 40Gb remaining (26% available). Yet in the summary of the backup set properties, the message 'appending requires another member' appears - with 40Gb available?!

I'm also running two other drives, and get a similar problem - I tried partitioning a drive into two ~75Gb partitions, and adding them both as members to a new backup set. They're both completely empty, but RP reports that each drive only has about 45% available.

These drives are both connected to a raid card, which may be the cause of the problem, but I can't figure out why it should be reporting incorrectly when XP reports correctly without any problem. (This raid card - EIO-1680 also doesn't get on well with ACPI and the size of the drives, as it resets the computer on very large backup sets, but I haven't fully identified the problem yet).

Actually, I just looked again, and the above paragraph is incorrect - my 3rd drive is connected to internal IDE, and has 8Gb of backed-up data on it, yet RP reports Used:107Gb, Free 20Gb ... very puzzled!

Luke

Archived