Backup Server script won't run but regular Backup script will

I ran a test on one Mac and created a Backup Server script to backup all modified files within the past 2 months and to exclude any enclosing folder whose name contains "system". The Mac being backed up is on my desk so I can watch both the backup server and the client at the same time.

It's down to this, there seems to be an issue with some security software we have installed. We use MacAdministrator to handle security on our Macs. It is set to log a user out after 30 minutes of inactivity. When the user is logged out, the machine is still on but a screen saver is displayed. A user can then log in by entering a user name and password.

Anyway, all of my problems occur when the Mac is in the logged out state and the backup server script tries to run. The result is the Mac locks up and you must force it to restart. The interesting thing is that I can create a backup script and schedule it to run at a certain time using the same criteria and it runs flawlessly.

The big question is: how does Retrospect access the Mac differently between these two scenarios? Why would one work and the other not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:

Anyway, all of my problems occur when the Mac is in the logged out state and the backup server script tries to run. The result is the Mac locks up and you must force it to restart. The interesting thing is that I can create a backup script and schedule it to run at a certain time using the same criteria and it runs flawlessly.

The big question is: how does Retrospect access the Mac differently between these two scenarios? Why would one work and the other not?

The backups themselves are the same. But Backup Server scripts poll machines, then decide if they're due for a backup, and if they are the backup begins. Perhaps the problem is in the polling communication.

I'd suggest contacting the publishers of your 3rd party security software. The Retrospect control panel for OS 9 has been unchanged for many years; their software should not be causing this conflict.

Dave

Archived