retrospect express 5.6.132 on maxtor hd - locks up my system on w98SE

mle

I just purchased a maxtor hd w/ retrospect express 5.6.132 and it appears to be a piece of junk - I cannot back anything up - I just freezes my computer and gives me an unknown error "- 9/5/2003 11:12:25 PM: Copying Drive C (C:)

MapError: unknown Windows error 122

instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfileString failed, error 122

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.132

Launched at 9/6/2003 12:42 AM

MapError: unknown Windows error 122

instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfileString failed, error 122

I can't find a reference to this error anywhere and, of course, there is no way to get any kind of tech support over the internet - all they want is their survey! It appears no one monitors this forum either because I see tons of questions and no replies. Is it too much to hope I might get help? Or should I just return this and advise everyone not to purchase it?

I agree with you. My post has been out for 3 days and 12 have viewed it and no one has answered my question either.

I find that happens a lot on forums. They answer only certain ones and seem to ignore mine.

Hope you get an answer because I had a similar problem with windows xp. It just stopped coping my C drive and said bad file.

I also asked what the price of an upgrade was. It was to complicated on the website. They can't even answer that.

I tend to agree with the former posters. It seems like the only people here that are going to help us, are ourselves.

Seems like we are the forgotten ones. I posted a similar issue a few posts back.

I will try and help.

1. Are you sure the HDD is ok? Try running a few tests on it. I usually use the program disktool.exe that cames from our friend Bart.

2. Un-install and then re-install the Retrospect Software. There might have been some sort of file corruption.

3. Make sure that there is not another process using the files at the same time. i.e. Virus Checker etc. I know the software is supposed to avoid that but hell we all thought the planet was flat a short while ago.

ALL OF THE ABOVE ASSUMES THE RETROSPECT SOFTWARE IS NOT AT FAULT.

A quick question. Are you trying to backup the "System State" or in "non-retrospect speak" backup the registry? I am getting issues with this on a Windows 98SE system due to the fact that 98SE does not share files well with others.

Regards

NULL

Hi

You can ignore the Write private profile error message. It is supposed to be filtered out of the log file but on some systems it manages to squeak through.

I suspect you are doing a backup and not a duplicate operation? If so the maximum size of your backup set is 4GB on Windows 98. It is likely that your computer is hanging because you have reached this limit. The only way around this is to upgrade your OS or to upgrade retrospect.

I agree with Null that you should try this with Virus protection off

Nate

Archived