installing clients on pre 0SX computers (OS8-9)

I recently downloaded the trial version of restrospect 5.1 for OSX. I will be using a G4 for my main backup system and would like to test out the ability of this system to backup 3-4 computers as clients. They are using system 8 or 9. The version that I downloaded installed retrospect clients for OSX. How do I install a trial version that I can install on the other computers so as I can test out this software. Thanks for the help

If you take the client installer to a MacOS 8-9 (actually 7.1 is enough) computer it will install the classic version of the client. You can put the installer on a network disk, BUT make sure you copy the installer to the local hard disk before running. Don't run directly from the network disk.

Quote:

You can put the installer on a network disk, BUT make sure you copy the installer to the local hard disk before running. Don't run directly from the network disk.

The problem with running the Vise installer from a network volume is that it can't authenticate for OS X; although I've never tried, I can't imagine there'd be any problem running it that way on a "Classic" Mac.

Dave

Archived