Duplicating to a Firewire Drive

If I read the manual correctly, I should be able to duplicate my internal hard drive to my external firewire drive, and make the external drive bootable. Could someone answer some questions for me?

First, is this somehow better than doing a full backup, and using that to restore the internal drive in the event of a disaster?

Second, I have a number of file backups as well as folders with other information in the external drive. I don't want to destroy that data. It looks like if I select the "Replace corresponding files" option, that data will be left alone (since even if the file name is the same, the path is different). Am I right about this?

Anything else I shold know about?

I have seen several posts in the past from people trying this and having trouble with the new disk not being bootable afterwards, so you would definitely want to test it before you needed it. I think you also need to turn off the default of "Ignore permissions on this drive" in the Get Info box for the external drive or permissions will be all screwed up.

Quote:

First, is this somehow better than doing a full backup, and using that to restore the internal drive in the event of a disaster?

Not much difference for a restore of the whole original disk.

The advantage of a duplicate is that the result is directly useable in the Finder. You can manually search it for files, and in an emergency you can boot from it to restore or switch directly to using the duplicate. To a minor extent another advantage can be that it is a known size (i.e. same as original).

In contrast a normal backup starts out with a smaller result, but each "normal" incremental backup after that makes the backup set bigger. The big advantage of a backup set is that it can contain multiple versions of files, including files that are no longer on the original disk.

Any backup is better than no backup, so either way you can't lose. smile.gif

Quote:

Second, I have a number of file backups as well as folders with other information in the external drive. I don't want to destroy that data. It looks like if I select the "Replace corresponding files" option, that data will be left alone (since even if the file name is the same, the path is different). Am I right about this?

Yes. Files that you have deleted from the original disk will not be removed from the copy. This could be an advantage at time, but means more care is probably required if you want the duplicate bootable. After a system upgrade on the original you would want to clean out the duplicate system folders so that you don't have obsolete files left in the duplicate system.

(I think you can do a "Replace entire disk" to a sub-volume" which gives you an exact copy, but am unclear whether the disk will still be bootable with the system files down a level!)

For true piece of mind no matter what you choose, testing is required. e.g. after a duplicate, see if you really can boot of the spare disk!

Archived