6.0: WinXP reboots unexpectedly when browsing Source Selection window

abe

Retrospect 6.0 under WinXP. After numerous unexpected restarts, I post here for advice!

If I open Retrospect, click Backup from the Backup Overview window, then click from one drive to another in the window, WinXP spontaneously reboots. I mean, blank screen, POST, followed by normal boot. It's unworldly. I've narrowed it down, I think, to the reboot occurring when the pointer changes to the hand grabber for dragging volumes around, and I click. Bang, a reboot without warning.

Tried to reproduce it in Safe Mode, and lo and behold the problem doesn't appear. Before I tear hair out trying to isolate the issue further, thought I'd inquire here about the most likely possibilities. Here are some of the details of my config:

ASUS P4PE mobo, P4 2.4 GHZ processor, 512 RAM, 2 x 80GB HDDs in RAID 1 configuration.

WinXP Pro SP1 with all patches.

Matrox Millennium G550 AGP gfx card (latest driver); Matrox QuickDesk is running.

I use PivotPro 7.1 software to switch the display to portrait mode (electronic prepress purposes).

Other stuff running:

Kensington MouseWorks 6.0.2 (latest)

TrendMicro PC-cillin 2003 w/firewall & POP3 trap

Visioneer OneTouch scanner driver (3.0)

Various other items, inquire if interested.

Ideas will be appreciated. I obviously don't like unexpected reboots!

Abe

I don't have any great ideas. One thing to try under XP is to change from using ASPI to NT Passthru (using the "Secret handshake" = SHIFT-CTRL-ALT PPP or SHIFT-CTRL-WINDOW-ALT PPP to access menu), then restart RP to see if that helps.

Another comment--"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do that!" "Don't do that." I know that's lousy, but can you get the backups you need using the manual Backup function? That is, just use scripts to set up your backup jobs and sidestep the crashing problem for now?

Hi, GoAWest. Configure > Devices > Environment already shows devices visible through NT Passthrough, despite the fact that "Use NT SCSI Passthrough" is not checked in parent prefs (thanks for the "secret handshake" tip--CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-PP worked). I'm reluctant to change this. FYI, I'm using a Plextor USB 2.0 CD-RW drive at the moment.

As for "don't do that"... that's what I've discovered. If I click when I've got a grabber cursor (in any context so far discovered), my system is a goner. But I seem to have greater problems afoot. I get a confounded "assert.exe" internal consistency check error when I try to do a full backup of my C: drive, just after scanning files, after a few seconds of "preparing to execute...". Manual or script, same error.

I've tried a few things so far, including renaming my config file and config.bak and letting Retrospect recreate them, but so far no dice. No problems defining all top-level folders as volumes and starting backups on them. Tried turning off hibernation support (never use it) to get rid of my hiberfil.sys (saves 512+ megs right there!), still no change--not that I expected one. Grrr. I'll start a new thread on this issue once I troubleshoot a bit more. Yes, I've seen Technote 307. Some time ago a client using 4.3 on a Mac had this "assert" issue, and it turned out to be a corrupted config file. No such luck here, I guess. frown.gif(

Abe

Hi

Retrospect isn't really "doing" anything when you have the grabber cusor so it is hard to believe this is related to Retrospect config files or device access. My guess is there is a larger problem with memory management or I/O on this system.

To try to isolate the cause of this problem:

What happens when you manipulate Retrospect with your backup drive disconnected? How about with virus software turned off? Do you have the latest drivers for your hard drive controller installed?

Nate

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Nate. Got married in the meantime, still trying to catch up. I don't suppose Dantz forums offer the option to send an email to the original poster when there's activity in a thread, as some other forums do?

I'll investigate further and report back. Note that the reboot occurs if I click with a grabber cursor, not merely when the cursor changes to a grabber.

Abe

Archived