Problem with files from Win98 on WinXP !

jaycooper_1999

I have 7 CDR's worth of data backed up with v5.6 on Win98SE. I just installed v6.5 on my WinXP machine. I transferred all the files on the old Win98 machine to the new XP machine across a network along with the corresponding backup catalogue file. I then attempted to continue backing up the new additional files I had added to the XP machine in the meantime. The problem is that the operation wants to backup all 3.0G worth of material all over again. Why is this happening ? Does it have something to do with the fact that I backed the stuff up on Win98 (FAT32) and now the material has been transferred to WinXP (NTFS) ? Did the files lose their archive attributes ? Or is there some other explanation ?

Jay Cooper

Quote:

I transferred all the files on the old Win98 machine to the new XP machine across a network along with the corresponding backup catalogue file.

Copying through Windows Networking may have changed file attributes. Matching is the scheme for comparing file attributes to determine whether files are identical, which then allows intelligent copying to avoid redundancy.

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to find new or changed files. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On Windows, Retrospect looks at creation date and time, modified date and time, size and name. If match only in same location option is set, Retrospect matches on the path, volume name and drive letter also.

By default, the archive attribute is not used as a matching criteria in Windows, allowing for true and reliable backups to multiple backup sets.

If possible, compare the properties of some of the files on the original machine vs. the new machine to look for differences.

Archived