Automated scripts not running

i am having a problem with Retrospect not running the automated scripts i have set up...they have worked in the past but several months ago they stopped activating...i've set them up again multiple times but still no go...here's some other behavior that might help troubleshoot:

1. whenever i launch the application it opens, the icon appears in the dock, then it closes before anything appears on screen, then opens again and runs fine...

2. after Retrospect opens, the script starts up and begins to run even though it is scheduled to run in the middle of the night...

i have reinstalled the application, set up scripts over and over but it won't launch them unless the application is open...

i'm running the most recent version (5.0.238) on OS X v 10.2.6 on a dual GHz G4

1. whenever i launch the application it opens, the icon appears in the dock, then it closes before anything appears on screen, then opens again and runs fine...

Normal. This is Retrospect authenticating to run as root.

2. after Retrospect opens, the script starts up and begins to run even though it is scheduled to run in the middle of the night...

Often reported bug. It's a problem with how the retrorun process (which does the actual launching) gets information from the retrorunfile (which contains the information on _when_ launching should take place).

- Quit Retrospect

- Delete the file: /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile

- Restart Retrospect

- Quit Retrosepct

- Launch again

For fun, you can enable retrorunfile's debug log by creating any file in that same directory named: RetroRunDebug (case sensetive). The resulting "RetroRunLog" file generated in that directory may be helpful to Dantz tech support (should they request it).

Have you tried repairing your disk permissions (using Disk Utility)? This often fixes unexplainable problems under OS X. It is especially helpful to repair permissions after software installations (including apple's software updates!).

Is your computer's date and time set correctly?

Brian

Archived