Jump to content

Retrospect 5.1 and VXA-1


Recommended Posts

Hi listers,

 

 

 

I'm hoping the assembled multitude can provide some insight on my problem (I've spoken to the Exabyte people and whilst helpful, its starting to sound like its a Retrospect issue).

 

 

 

I had a problem with my VAX-1 and as a result upgraded the firmware on the drive and downloaded the latest Retrospect driver.

 

 

 

Then I spent 10 days verifying a catalogue (7 tapes) and my wife isn't happy (the VXA is connected to her iMac).

 

 

 

Now when I start the backup server it spends a long period "locating files" (longest was 10 hours) but goes no further.

 

 

 

The sequence has become:

 

 

 

1. Backup server launches

 

 

 

2. Spends enormous amount of time "locating files". It does tell me the first machine has 4024 files taking up 485Mb ready to be backed up but it never does it.

 

 

 

3. Click on "Cancel"

 

 

 

4. Eventually have to "Force Quit"

 

 

 

5. Relaunch Retrospect

 

 

 

6. Retrospect can't find device

 

 

 

7 Shut down iMac

 

 

 

8. Shut down VXA

 

 

 

9. Start VXA

 

 

 

10. Start iMac

 

 

 

11. Go back to 1. Above.

 

 

 

I have cleaned the drive a few times now (esp. after the 240 hr session).

 

 

 

Any thoughts?

 

 

 

I don't really want to but another 7 tapes and start again.

 

 

 

Regards,

 

 

 

Mark

 

 

 

P.S. Log follows picking up from the test restore that I did earlier (after the firmware upgrade).

 

 

 

 

 

- 16/8/2003 7:42:38 AM: Restoring from test…

 

16/8/2003 7:59:17 AM: Execution completed successfully.

 

Completed: 4917 files, 1.1 GB

 

Performance: 67.3 MB/minute

 

Duration: 00:16:39 (00:00:34 idle/loading/preparing)

 

Quit at 16/8/2003 8:04 AM

 

 

 

 

 

? Retrospect version 5.1.167

 

launched at 16/8/2003 8:31 AM

 

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.0.103

 

 

 

+ Executing Verify at 16/8/2003 8:33 AM

 

To backup set Home Network…

 

Bad backup set header found (0x7c7f1b78 at 131,224).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x6e740000 at 18,149,122).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x44697279 at 71,959,049).

 

Backup set format inconsistency (5 at 90969539)

 

Bad backup set header found (0xf8821302 at 143,487,637).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x63c7c3d2 at 143,487,701).

 

Bad backup set header found (0xb8d1cd78 at 143,487,765).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x920a2e10 at 143,487,829).

 

Bad backup set header found (0xf6ee9004 at 143,487,893).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x485a4847 at 143,487,957).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x1dcdfa41 at 143,488,021).

 

Bad backup set header found (0x06900e01 at 143,488,053).

 

135,785 files were not verified.

 

26/8/2003 12:10:28 PM: 13 execution errors.

 

Remaining: 192461 files, 38.8 MB

 

Completed: 441755 files, 141.7 GB

 

Performance: 0.3 MB/minute

 

Duration: 243:34:35 (19:13:32 idle/loading/preparing)

 

 

 

+ 26/8/2003 12:20 PM: Backup Server started

 

 

 

+ Normal backup using New Home server at 26/8/2003 12:21 PM

 

To backup set Home Network…

 

 

 

- 26/8/2003 12:21:09 PM: Copying Emma's HAD…

 

 

 

? Retrospect version 5.1.167

 

launched at 26/8/2003 4:44 PM

 

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.0.103

 

You should clean your tape drive. It has been used for 225 hours since

 

the previous cleaning reminder.

 

Quit at 26/8/2003 4:44 PM

 

 

 

 

 

? Retrospect version 5.1.167

 

launched at 26/8/2003 5:00 PM

 

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.0.103

 

 

 

+ 26/8/2003 5:13 PM: Backup Server started

 

 

 

+ Normal backup using New Home server at 26/8/2003 5:13 PM

 

To backup set Home Network…

 

 

 

- 26/8/2003 5:13:21 PM: Copying Emma's HAD…

 

 

 

? Retrospect version 5.1.167

 

launched at 27/8/2003 8:05 AM

 

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.0.103

 

Quit at 27/8/2003 8:07 AM

 

 

 

 

 

? Retrospect version 5.1.167

 

launched at 27/8/2003 8:07 AM

 

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.0.103

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terrible performance when rebuilding the catalog (and presumably likewise while verifying) usually indicates a hardware problem.

 

Try doing a small backup to a new tape and backup set, and see if it runs happily (or drowns in verification errors). Then you can have some confidence whether your current hardware setup is working at all. Attacking a 7 tape backup set as the first operation is too big, given you are having problems!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John,

 

 

 

I started off thinking it was hardware so I spoke to Exabyte. whilst working with them we did the following:

 

 

 

1. Upgraded the VXA's firmware.

 

2. Did some read / write tests in using the VXA tool (500 mb) - drive passed.

 

3. Did a sample Retrospect backup / restore (1Gb) - passed. The first part of the log I included shows this restoration.

 

 

 

Now however it doesn't seem to like this backup set. Exabute suggested I do the verification but now the backup server fails to execute the routine (causing the errors mentioned above).

 

 

 

Hence my post here based on if it isn't hardware then it suggests a Retrospect issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...