Are there ANY Success Stories?

Just purchased v5.0 Workgroup edition. Planned to intall it on our single server running ASIP 6.3.1 on a B&W G3 with 768MB ram with 2 internal Seagate 9 GB drives and 2 external 72 GB drives (connected with an Adaptec 2930U card) in a mirrored RAID arrangement. I've been reading the horror stories on this board and now hesitate to do the "upgrade." I purchased the upgrade mainly in anticipation of moving to OS X and because I now have two OS 9 clients I need to back up (had no client licenses with 4.3). Has anyone been successful in upgrading a setup such as this from v4 to v5? Quits, slowdowns, memory leaks, and lockups are things I cannot afford. Should I wait for Dantz to post an update?

As you are no doubt aware, the nature of forums such as this is that it makes it sound like nobody is having any success, because the folks for which things are working don't have anything to say.

Having said that, IMHO you should wait for the next patch (you've waited this long after all.) I ran into a couple of problems (the dreaded file sharing-related assertion and a catalog corruption bug) but the workaround for the first problem worked for me, and the second was fixed by rebuilding the catalog (I have a pretty good guess as to the circumstances that caused it, and it appears to be a one-time thing) so I'm running just fine now. Given the known problems, and the likely release of a patch Real Soon Now, it doesn't seem prudent to go over the cliff just yet.

Archived