Backing Up Remote Clients

maisany

I'm looking to install 6.5 for backing up clients here in our office. The PCs that belong to staff members who work here in our offices should be no problem, but we have about ten people who work out of their homes and only come into the office once or twice a year.

The problem is, how do we back these clients up?

I'm assuming that its theoretically possible to run a backup to the server via a VPN connection, but is this really feasible and has anyone actually tried it? All of our remote users have some type of broadband connection at this point but even with either a DSL or a cable line, is this really possible?

If its not a realistic solution, the second option is to run the client but to a local device, most likely an external HD. I'd still like to manage that centrally from the server via the VPN, so is it possible to manage a client backup on the network but make a local device like an external HD the destination for the backup? would this incorporate the anti-redundancy feature of the server backup so that it would know not to backup files that have already been backed up onto the server, like all of the Office application files?

Finally, if none of this is possible or realistic and we have to go with individual client backups, are the backup sets created by Retrospect Professional identical to those created by Server? Is there some way that I can add those backups into the collection of client backups from the external HDs? How should remote client backups be handled in this scenario?

Thanks for any input.

Hi

The bandwidth issue will make this really hard. You best bet is to install Retrospect locally on both of the home users machines and backup to a local hard drive. You can control Retrospect via remote desktop or PC anywhere.

The backup sets are fully compatible so there is no problem there. Just have the users bring in the hard disks from time to time and to a backup set transfer from the tools menu. That will take thier backups and copy them into your primary backup.

Nate

Thanks for your response, Nate.

When you say that we should install the Retrospect locally, is that possible with the Server product? I was under the impression that the "client" that comes with server was just that, and couldn't be used in a stand-alone mode. Is there a stand-alone client option available on the install for Server, or would I need to buy Retrospect Pro for all of the machines that are located remotely?

Hi

Your best bet would be to put professionall on all of the remote machines. Not cheap but probably the most reliable way to do it.

The Maxtor one touch external hard drives come with Retrospect Express included which might be a good choice for you.

Nate

Archived