Assertion check at "elem.c-822"

Allright lads, how about a status check. Any news to report for when this bug will be fixed? It's been a month since it was in the headlines here in the forum.

--

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-822"

--

My daily backup server script crashes everyday with this error. The nightly backup script runs just fine.

As far as I can tell, the crashes seem to occur when the backup server is polling the clients.

My setup :

PowerMac G4/500

512MB RAM

OS X 10.2.6 (freshly reinstalled)

ATA 80GB hard drive.

ATTO Tech ExpressPCI UL2D SCSI card + APS Tech AIT tape drive.

Retrospect 5.1 (freshly installed)

The clients are running a variety of OSes.

MacOS 8.6

MacOS 9.0.4 - 9.2.2

OS X 10.2.6

Win98

Win2000 Pro

These machines are all desktops and laptops. No servers.

The problem has only surfaced when the backup server is polling the clients. I never know when it's going to happen, and I haven't been able to catch it in the act.

Funny thing is, it's gone a couple days now with out happening. Guess I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Hi, I am having the same error. I am running 5.1 Server on a OS X xserve 10.2.6. It happens occasionaly but enough to be a pain as you need to respond to the dialog when it hangs to get things going again which requires me to constantly monitor the server. And hello Dantz, it is NOT the library as this is happening while backing up to hard drives as a file. This problem has been going on as long as I can remember. I thought it would be fixed in the 5.1 release but I guess I was wrong.

The following is from our Knowlegebase:

Dantz engineering has been working hard to identify and resolve these error messages.

Our research has shown several possible causes and solutions for these errors:

1) Hard Disk B-Tree issues: Several users have reported that they have identified hard disk corruption which has resulted in the elem.c assert errors during backup. If your error appears to happen when accessing specific users on the network or specific hard drives, it is recommended that you check these disks with a hard drive diagnostic tool such as Apple's Disk Utility or Norton Utilities. Repairing a problem disk drive may reduce or eliminate your elem.c errors.

2) Bad RAM or other memory problems on the backup computer has also been a problem for several Retrospect customers. Replacing the RAM in the backup computer or moving Retrospect to another Macintosh has been an effective way to eliminate these errors for some users.

Dantz is aware that other causes for this error may exist and we will continue our investigation and would like to notify you of any new developments related to this issue.

To be notified when this error is fixed, please join the following notify list:

http://list.dantz.com/mailman/listinfo/assert_elem822

Archived