Cold swapping removable hard drives

We've been using hard drives for backups and they're great, and we have several drives on removable IDE enclosures. We have Retrospect 6.0 and it is configured to make a disk backup to each drive. Since Windows 2000 does not recognize them as removable drives, I power off the computer to swap drives. However, there are times when Retrospect begins a script and the incorrect drive is installed and requests for the correct one. I end up having to terminate Retrospect and all pending scripts in order to power down the computer and change the drive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You probably have just IDE drives in enclosures. I've seen removable & hot-swappable harddrives in enclosures. But they all seem to be IDE drives with Firewire (or USB2) adaptors to an internal Firewire/USB2 port. So it would cost a bit to go this route since you'd have buy new enclosures and possibly add a FW/USB2 card with at least one internal port.

External USB/Firewire enclosures are not very expensive.

Indeed, I had been planing on going that route, but I ended up getting the Maxtor 500LE external drives.

I was considering Coolmax and Compucable and Lavalink.

Anybody have experiences with these?

I know someone who likes the Compucable cases, what about the other?

I'm using a couple of USB2/Firewire external enclosures from FireXpress. They're working fine (USB 2.0 from a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card). I use the USB 2.0 on my PCs and have used the Firewire port on a family member's Mac G4.

One thing I learned is that most of the enclosures on the market don't support the new larger 48-bit LBA addressing required to access IDE drives larger than 137GB. So you may find that you can only use 120GB drives, or 137GB of that 160GB/200GB/etc. drive you put in the enclosure. One of my FireXpress boxes has this limitation and I bought a newer one with 48-bit LBA to support a 200GB Maxtor IDE.

I wonder if I can do this:

-buy just one external firewire enclosure (one of those that can fit a 5.25" drive)

-insert the IDE rack into it.

This way the hard drives can still stay in IDE enclosures that I already have.

To swap, I would unplug the firewire cable, and then swap the IDE drive out of the firewire enclosure, insert another drive, then plug the firewire back in.

This way, I can power down the hard drive safely and still keep the computer on.

Thoughts?

Archived