using retrospect workgroup and HDD ?

Hi, I am planning to use Retroscpect 5.1 Workgroup Edition on a Mac OS 9.2.2. I want to backup to a 200GB external Firewire Harddisk. Since the Disk will be full some day : Can I still use the disk and backup, lets say, one week of my worK? Can Retrospect still use the disk, after it is full and then continue writing backup data to it, while overwriting the oldest data?

Or do I have to fully erase the disk and restart with a new full backup?

Thanks for any help in advance

Cheers

Alex

homer.gif

ok thank you.

As I conclude: I cannot use a HDD to perform scheduled backup with retrospect?!

My intention was to perform 1 week of backup and then start overwriting the 1st days of this backup so I always have 5-6 days of backup.

Is this possible with retrospect and an external 200 GB Firewire HDD? it doesnt show up to me after reading the tutorials! Sorry .... frown.gifcryrub.gif

Thanks for any help.

Hi

Just create 2 sets and rotate them. You can save both sets on the same drive

Week A do a recycle backup on monday and then normal backups the rest of the week

Week B do a recycle backup on monday and then normal backups the rest of the week and so on

This way you have a 1 week cushion of data.

Nate

hi nate, thanks alot.

I will try it this way.

As I have only downloaded the trial-version of retrospect - which is the best version to buy if I am planning to install a backup system like this on several machines in my company? is it not best to buy several copies of the single user version?

Thanks in advance for any further info.

Cheers

Alex

Two comments:

--I personally don't like to include recycles in an automatic script. It only takes a couple of clicks to recycle a set manually and recycling is destroying data--something I won't trust to anything but a deliberate act on my part. For example, suppose you go away on vacation for two weeks (with the machine turned off), come back and launch Retrospect to get something from the backup set you realized you deleted just before you left. First thing it will do is launch that script and politely erase the backup set for you right before your eyes with nothing you can do about it. The down side of doing it manually is that you have to remember to do it, but the worst that happens if you forget is the backup set grows a little larger than usual that week.

--A copy of the application is more expensive than a client license, and you want the clients anyway. If you get many single user versions, each machine will need its own backup device. If you get one copy of the application and several clients, they can share the same backup device. This arrangement is better for management and is also more efficient on space since if data is pooled from multiple machines it won't rewrite duplicate files (e.g. system files that take up lots of space). The only way I would go with a separate copy of the application for each machine is if: 1) I had lots of money to waste on buying a copy of the application and a backup device for each machine, 2) each person was a fiefdom onto themselves and didn't want anyone else fiddling with their machines, and 3) they would sign a waiver stating that they understood it was their responsibility to make sure everything was backed up and if they lost anything they weren't going to come complaining to me about it! (I'm of course assuming that the machines are networked.)

thanks mcswgn. Yes, the machines are networked, but I will have to use Several HDDs since they are only 120 GB and this is merely enough for backing up 2 machines. I am working in a design agency with lots of data being produced each day.

So can I use the client versions to go ahead with several HDDs each connected to 2 machines? I suppose not, so I will have to buy the full licenses.

?

Thanks for any further help

Retrospect can write to as many backup devices as you can physically connect to the same machine. If you want to run the application on two different machines you would need to buy two copies, of course. You could then buy clients for the rest. A backup server will only backup those clients that it has logged in, so you can separate the clients between the two servers that way. However, it's also possible for a client to get backed up to more than one server if that works into your backup scheme. Talk to the Dantz sales people about how many clients you would need to buy and what increments you can get them in.

If you are backing up that much data you might also want to look at alternative storage devices (either now or just down the road). Hard disks are nice in some ways, but they are pretty hard to take off site or archive and they don't expand well to growing needs.

Archived