Backing up Macs from WinXP

larrymcg

Using Retrospect 6.5.283 on WinXP.

I have two Macs on the network (Linksys Router), one is a Mac Clone running Sys 7.6.1 (Yeoww..., really old but fully useful and stable) and the other is a G3 Powerbook running Sys 8.5.1 (old, but not ancient). Both Macs are running DAVE so all three machines can see each other and copy/open files, etc. I have not installed any Retrospect software on the Macs.

I did a successful DUPLICATE of both disk partitions from the Mac Clone to a subvol (folder) on my WinXP system. Cool!

Attempts to do the same from the Powerbook disk fail. The DUPLICATE operation starts up but gets lots of errors and after awhile stops trying. The target subvol has about 1400 folders and 230 files in it so some things were successfully duplicated (but is far from done).

Below is a segment of the log entry showing the kinds of errors. When the DUPLICATE terminates it leaves the Powerbook in a condition where it can't do anything other than complain that too many files are open. Maybe all the errors are leaving files open. If so, I suspect that could lead to the final error which says the disk is unavailable.

I've tried the DUPLICATE more than once and it continues to fail.

Suggestions on what to try next??

--Larry

===========================================================

START OF LOG ENTRY:

- 8/24/2003 5:15:22 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Leanna g3

Error on pattern \\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Documents and Settings\*

File "\\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\2DIR_InfoDATA": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

File "\\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Comm4.7_Complete_US": can't read, error -2352 (File has changed)

File "\\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Desktop DB": can't read, error -2352 (File has changed)

THERE ARE LOTS OF THE "File has changed" errors.

THEN THERE ARE LOTS OF THE FOLLOWING ERRORS.

File "\\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\TextBoundDemo.java": can't read, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

MapError: unknown Windows error 7

TPCFileLoc: :GetInfo: UFindFirstFile failed, \\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\TextBoundFrame.class, winerr 7, error -1001

TPCFile: :BackupReadOpen: UCreateFile failed, \\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\TextBoundFrame.class, winerr 7, error -1001

File "\\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\TextBoundFrame.class": can't read, error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error)

TPCFileLoc: :GetInfo: UFindFirstFile failed, \\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\Utility.class, winerr 7, error -1001

TPCFile: :BackupReadOpen: UCreateFile failed, \\LEANNA G3\Macintosh HD\Apple Extras\Mac OS Runtime For Java\Apple Applet Runner\Applets\Internationalization\code\Utility.class, winerr 7, error -1001

THEN THE DUPLICATE TERMINATES WITH THE FOLLOWING ERROR:

Trouble reading files, error -1102 (drive missing/unavailable)

===================================================

I'm running the DUPLICATE via file sharing (DAVE). I tried installing the clients but they require that you already have Retrospect 5.1 (or something like that) installed. One of my Macs has Retrospect Express 4.1 and the other has none. So, without doing a Retrospect upgrade I can't use the clients.

By using Appletalk file sharing, I was able to use Retro Express on the PowerPC Mac to back up the G3 Powerbook.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi

Retrospect 6.5 professional includes 2 client licenses that you can use on any machines you like. The client application does not require any other software so I'm not quite sure what you were trying to install. I recommend copying the client app off of your install CD to each machine and then installing it. I think you will be happy with the results once it is set up.

Nate

doh.gif Here's text from the Client ReadMe:

======================================

Retrospect Clients Read Me

Retrospect Clients lets you back up Windows, UNIX, and Macintosh client

computers from Retrospect on a Windows or Macintosh computer. Retrospect

Clients requires a copy of the Retrospect application.

Requirements

Retrospect Clients requires Retrospect 6.5 for Windows or Retrospect 5.1

for Macintosh, or later versions.

=========================================

This led me to believe that the clients needed the "required" versions of Retro to be on the client machine. I guess this text is saying that the "required" versions of Retro need to be on the server. Makes sense to me.

Yes, I have 2 unused client licenses.

I've tried installing the client (on the G3 Powerbook, OS 8.5.1) directly from the CD and from a copy on the Mac hard disk. In both cases the installer starts up and immediately exits quietly. No presentation of any kind on the screen. Kind of leaves me in the dark.

Suggestions??

--Larry

AmyJ,

Thanks for the info. The client installed on the G3 Powerbook (haven't tried the other Mac yet) and I was able to do a progressive backup to a backup set on one of my WinXP hard disks.

I first tried doing a DUPLICATE operation but that caused Retro on WinXP to crash. I tried twice and got two crashes. Retro sent an error report to Dantz. Since the progressive backup worked fine I'm not going to worry about the DUP failing. If anyone is interested here is the intro info from the error log (assert_log.utx):

OS: Windows XP version 5.1 (build 2600), Service Pack 1

Application: C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\Retrospect.exe, version 6.5.283

Exception occurred on 9/2/2003 at 10:20:49 AM

Error info: Assertion failure at "tstring.cpp-410"

Exception code: E0000000 ASSERTION

Fault address: 77E73887 0001:00012887 kernel32.dll

Thanks again,

Larry

Archived