No Backup Disc

G4 Macintosh, OS 9.1

Retrospect Express 5.0.238

Verbatim CD-RW discs, 16x24x speed

I have a new LaCie Firewire 52x24x24 drive and am unable to prepare a CD-RW for use with Retrospect. A disc with non-Retrospect data on it appears on the desktop as "Untitled CD" but I can't erase, reformat or retitle it so that it will be recognized as a member of a Retrospect backup set.

Configure/Devices indicates that the disc is write protected, and Device Status does not show any currently visible devices. Apple System Profiler however, shows that the Firerwire drive is connected and contains the disc "Untitled CD".

A blank disc with no data does not show at all and is ejected.

I have installed extensions and driver updater per # 28965 - 7/25/03 but no difference. Extensions enabled agree with LaCie's recommendations.

Am I another victim of the infamous drive mechanism switcheroo, or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Gordon

Auto Configurator appears to be available in Retrospect Express v5.1 but not in v5.0.238 which I have. I had upgraded 4.X to 5.0.238 on the understanding that it would be compatible. Do I now have to upgrade again to 5.1 or is there still a way to solve my problem with 5.0.238?

Thanks,

Gordon

Device Status lists ID from 0-6, but there are no vendors, products or versions listed. There is nothing there. The drive I am trying to use is a LaCie Firewire 52X24X52 d2.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

gordine said:

Device Status lists ID from 0-6, but there are no vendors, products or versions listed. There is nothing there. The drive I am trying to use is a LaCie Firewire 52X24X52 d2.

Isn't this woman's question answered yet and her problem solved? It is now September 2003, and I have the same problem she does -- same La Cie drive and all. I, too, loaded the update but my drive is not recognized.

The only thing is listed is Vendor: Lite-On; Product: LTR 52246S; Version: 6S0D; Driver: .sdapStubDrvr.

What does all this mean, and does it really mean that I can't use Retrospect Express with my new La Cie drive?

Oh, and what is "Auto Configurator"? I can't find any reference to it except in an obscure magazine article that I Googled.

Thanks for your attention.

Your friend,

Loudbark99

Hi

The Sdapstubdriver thing means that retrospect does not have/cannot load a driver for the device. If you have retrospect 5.1 the autoconfigurator button should show up when you highlight the drive in the device status window. Retrospect 5.0 and earlier do not have an auto configurator.

Nate

Archived