Linux client restore

I'm running Multi-server 6.0 on Windows XP Pro backing up to USB drives.

When trying to restore files from a linux client, it hangs just after the scanning stage.

There are approximately 300,000 files in the snapshot. After scanning it just sits there with an hourglass. I rebuilt the catalog and that hasn't helped. Process watcher shows retrospect pegging the CPU but there is no disk activity. How long should it take to give me a list of files to choose?

It finally failed with a elem.cpp-861 error. I had seen this error before and was told the following

"elem.cpp-861 - Retrospect 6.0/6.5 for Windows users may experience this assert when doing an Immediate>Restore>Search if the backup set contains linux files. Try doing a restore via the Snapshot to avoid this problem.

Dantz is investigating the cause and hopes to resolve the problem with our next release."

Has this cause been found and does 6.5 resolve it?

Hi

Maybe you can get around this if you do a restore without a snapshot. Can you try a "search for files" restore?

How about doing a backup set transfer operation using selection criteria to only transfer the files you want to restore? The smaller backup set with just the files you want may get around the error.

Nate

So what is the recommendation? Don't use the Linux client? Does having all linux clients back up to their own backup set resolve the problem? If I cannot restore, backing up is pointless. Red Hat Linux is listed as a supported OS. Not being able to restore doesn't sound "supported".

Hi

Agreed this is no good - there has to be a workaround somewhere...

Try using a clean set of preference files with Retrospect and see if it helps. Just move your 2 existing files to another folder on your hard disk. The config files are :

Documents and Settings/all users/application data (hidden)/Retrospect/Config65.dat and Config65.bak

Also make sure you reboot the machine before you try again.

Were you able to transfer the files to another backup set or did that fail too?

Have you tried rebuilding the catalog for this set?

Ah-one more thing: turn off the XP system restore feature on your USB hard drives - that can peg your processor for sure.

Nate

I learned the system restore on the external drives early on smile.gif

I managed to get the files off of the backup set by doing a entire volume restore. It took a long time but finally worked through it. The bad thing is that the restored files filenames were munged regardless of where I restored them to(windows or Linux). The files all ended with a "." that retrospect translated to ~hj where hj is random chars from file to file when viewed from windows/mac. And it put a "?" in place of the "." when viewed from a terminal session on a linux machine.

Hi

I'm glad you got your data but the filename thing is worrysome. If you try another test backup to another backup set can you restore those files or is it the same thing all over again? I want to try and rule out the "bad backup set" theory.

Thanks

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Archived