Caldera Open UNIX 8, Linux Personality & Retrospect

I just upgraded my Mac OS X server version of Retrospect to the new 5.1 and am hoping to use the Linux client capabilities to do backups of our SCO UNIX box. Under the Linux compatability environment the Linux Retrospect client installs and "runs" but I'm not able to connect to the client from the server. (I scan the SCO box and the port doesn't show itself open.)

I've added (in the SCO environment) Retrospect to the services file (dantz 497/tcp) and tried to add it into inetd.conf (again, in the SCO environment). Maybe that doesn't need to be done, still new to SCO. When I HUP'd inetd I scanned the machine again and port 497 was open, though the Retrospect daemon was not running. Manually started the daemon and still no luck. Anyone else trying to do this? Any success? I feel I'm close but thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks for any advice and have a wonderful day.

tim

Guest psykoyiko

Retrospect supports Redhat Linux 6.2, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0 and Solaris 8 on SPARC hardware.

That being said, most compatibility environments, (FreeBSD's comes to mind), run Linux binaries in a kind of sandbox anyway, so you may not even have access to the host's filesystem if you manage to be able to connect to the client.

Modifying the services file will do nothing to fix this problem.

Adding retrospect to inetd will only make it not work. The retrospect client has the ability to bind to the port and listen for connections. You only really use inetd for applications that do not have this ability. If you add it to inetd and try to start retroclient it will fail because inetd has already bound itself to the port.

And seriously, if you don't have software that requires SCO Unix, dump it. Its garbage, you can get Linux for free and it obviously works alot better.

-miah

Archived