Can Client run without X windows

Would you check with retrospect vendor the following question?

Can we install restrospect client without X windows running on the system. When I run installation, it tried to display a window to ask for password, and since we don’t run X windows on our Linux systems on DMZ, the installation cannot complete.

Guest psykoyiko

Quote:

Walter Hecht said:

Can we install restrospect client without X windows running on the system. When I run installation, it tried to display a window to ask for password, and since we don’t run X windows on our Linux systems on DMZ, the installation cannot complete.

I did some testing, and found out that the client install script only tries to open an X window if X is actually running on the machine. If X is not running, it asks for the first password in the current shell.

In any case, you may be able to get around it by copying /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl to /etc/init.d, executing /usr/local/dantz/client/retroclient -setpass, and then executing /etc/init.d/rcl start.

I belive that the 'Xwindows stuff' requires Java too. Looking at RetroClient.sh I notice several temp races (simple security problems that should be fixed), and a comment about exiting if JAVA_HOME isn't set.

I run the client on several linux systems and it works fine, I've never once loaded the "Xwindows client" and don't ever intend to.

-miah

Guest psykoyiko

He's not talking about the GUI interface to the retrospect client. I believe the problem he is experiencing is during the installation of the rpm, when it is asking for an initial password. I have verified that the install does in some cases attempt to open an xterm and ask for the password, but it only appears to be when X is running.

Archived