Errors - Bad backup set Header found

I have all new hardware and getting Bad backup set Header found errors in Retrospect Workgroup 5.0. I have a G4 server 1.5gig of ram runing Mac OS X Server 10.1.3 and no classic runing. For hardware I have Sony TSL-SA500C autoloader, Rorke Data Galaxyi Raid all connected to a Adptec 39160 SCSI card. Both devices are on the same SCSI bus and it is termanated. I am login to the server as root when doing the back-up. I have only installed the Mac OS, Adaptec drives for the SCSI card, Retrospect and Netscape. I have applied all the apple updates to the OS.

I only get the this error with comparing the tape the back-up tape. It looks like it works fine writing to the tape the best I can tell. I have not tried to restore yet.

I have confirmed all the hardware is approved by Dantz to work.

Further testing has shown that the updated Adaptec drivers (v1.1) for the 39160 card cause problems with Retrospect backups. We recommend that you revert to older drivers.

To complete these steps, you must be logged into the Finder as root or use a third party utility that allows you to see, access and delete files owned by the system. Those familiar with the Terminal can su to root and accomplish these steps in the Terminal.

1. Remove version 1.2 by deleting the "Adaptec39160.kext" file from /System/Library/Extensions. Then run the version 1.0.2 installer from the Adaptec web site. It can be found at:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fAPD-39160&prodkey=APD-39160

2. Replace "/System/Library/Extensions/Adaptec39160.kext" with the one on the Mac OS X install CD. It is located in the same path on the CD. To navigate to this path, you must close the auto open CD window and reopen the CD to get to the root level.

Thanks, and I hope that this is helpful.

After much time with Dantz support. I Learned that there are know SCSI problems with the 29160 and 39160 SCSI cards. I then contacted Adaptec and they had heard of the problems and are working with Dantz to resolve the problem. Both company's do not know what the source of the problems are. Dantz belives that it is Adaptec but I think it is Dantz, because the SCSI harware Raid that I have is not having any problems reading and writing files.

My current fix is to back-up two fireware drives, which works fine. I am now waiting for Dantz or Adaptec to find the problem.

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same hardware except the tape drive which is a Sony 300 series autoloader.

Does the recently released minor update address this?

Thanks,

Eric Loewenhagen

Crescent Printing Company

eric@cpcprints.com

I forgot to add that one way I get the backups to work is to turn off verification. Then it all seems to go smoothly. But, since I haven't have to do a full restore yet, I can't verify it is a fully working solution.

Eric Loewenhagen

Crescent Printing Company

eric@cpcprints.com

Be careful!

The errors are generated during the compare phase because Retrospect goes back to verify that the data was written properly, and it sees that it was not. Turning off verification eliminates the errors but doesn't do anything to change the fact that the data that's being written is most likely damaged or corrupted. You would not be able to restore this data most likely!

Archived